Silver cloth on lacquer?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Mar 29, 2011.

1. _si

_si Member

I have a denis wick silver cloth i used to clean my silver baritone with, can i use it on lacquered instruments? or will it cause damage?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    silver cloth
    cloth
    lacquer
    baritone
    instruments
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yes. And and the world will end in a big firey explosion if you do...;)

[sorry its been a long day...]

I guess that over time it wouldn't do the lacquer a lot of good, given that its not the most robust coating anyway. Now, I'm no expert, but I think a silver cloth is designed to polish the metal by removing a microscopic player of tarnish to get back to the shiny base metal. Laquer is effectively a thinish varnish over the brass (apologies for the rather **** wording and examples, as I say its been a long day) which needs to be rubbed clean rather than scrubbed.

I guess if you spend the next decade constantly polishing your instrument (oo-er..) then you might start to see some dulling / rubbing off of the laquer. But, honestly if you really want to make a laquered instrument look nice and shiny then buy the right cloth for the job. They're hardly going to break the bank. ;)

4. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I always found a squirt of Pledge on a yellow duster works jolly well on a laquered instrument.

5. JDH

JDH Member

A silver polishing cloth is impregnated for polishing metal and is no good for lacquer putting minute scratching in over time.

Use a duster, or some other soft cloth