Silver cloth on lacquer?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Mar 29, 2011.

1. _si

_si Member

I have a denis wick silver cloth i used to clean my silver baritone with, can i use it on lacquered instruments? or will it cause damage?

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yes. And and the world will end in a big firey explosion if you do...;)

[sorry its been a long day...]

I guess that over time it wouldn't do the lacquer a lot of good, given that its not the most robust coating anyway. Now, I'm no expert, but I think a silver cloth is designed to polish the metal by removing a microscopic player of tarnish to get back to the shiny base metal. Laquer is effectively a thinish varnish over the brass (apologies for the rather **** wording and examples, as I say its been a long day) which needs to be rubbed clean rather than scrubbed.

I guess if you spend the next decade constantly polishing your instrument (oo-er..) then you might start to see some dulling / rubbing off of the laquer. But, honestly if you really want to make a laquered instrument look nice and shiny then buy the right cloth for the job. They're hardly going to break the bank. ;)

3. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

I always found a squirt of Pledge on a yellow duster works jolly well on a laquered instrument.

4. JDH

JDH Member

A silver polishing cloth is impregnated for polishing metal and is no good for lacquer putting minute scratching in over time.

Use a duster, or some other soft cloth