Silent Brass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JonBond, Aug 12, 2006.

1. JonBond

JonBond Member

Hi people,

This is my first post, so I guess I should introduce myself. I live in Guernsey and play solo cornet (end chair) in the L'Islet SA band, where I'm also deputy bandmaster.

Anywhoo, the question: I've recently bought a house and moved in, but it is a terrace and therefore am unable to practice freely like I was able to in my parents house. So, looking into it - is the Yamaha Silent brass a good option for home practice? I have used one in the past but it was so long ago I can't remember what it was like. What's to resistance like? Sound quality etc. etc. I won't be using it for all pactice - but when I can't get somewhere else to practice.

Thank you!
  2. RJM06

RJM06 Member

the yamaha silent brass system is a magnificent piece of kit for home practisin. I avnt got one myself but i have tried a friends. I would recommend it 2 anyone who loves playing brass
  3. zak

zak Member

Takes more than trying one out to give a verdict on one!!!! ;)

I have used a euph one for a few years now, they are ok but definately not a tool to be used all the time for home practice as it will definately be detrimental to your overall sound. They are not designed to replace normal everyday practice.

4. amgray

amgray Member

I'm a trombonist. I've used one extensively for the last 3 years with no problems. Just make sure that you breathe properly. I have found that using the headphones for some of the practice (rather than just using as a practice mute) with the reverb OFF really helps production as it amplifies flaws and makes you concentrate on doing it right.
  5. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

I use silent brass all the time, to avoid annoying the neighbours. It's a excellent peice of kit, but does cause intonation problems on sop (bottom E is almost a D!) I practice things untill they are almost there on silent brass then finish off open. It's also good at contests and concerts for warming up without incuring the wrath of stewards !
    I always use the rehersal room setting with no reverb and have replaced the headphones with a more comfortable set. I certainly wouldn't be able to practice as much or as intence without mine. :clap:
  6. Hi! I have a euph one and thinks it's gr8. I use the headphones with rehearsal room (no reverb). I find that it makes you listen to what you play, far too often do i think i hear what im playing, then put the silent brass mute in and hear something entirely different... and definitely not right. I find though that to play without the headphones helps my breathing because it provides some resistance to play against. its a bit of a hassle connecting evrything and i end up tangled in it, but overall a good piece of kit for home practise :)
  7. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I've had my SB-29 (Euphonium) for about a year now and I must say I love it. My wife has a rather bizarre sleeping schedule, so it's perfect for getting in some practice time at home when she's crashed.

I haven't noticed any intonation problems as a result... but then again, I'm thinking any issues I might 'develop' during home practice tend to get worked out at actual rehearsal with the band(s). More often than not I find myself adjusting to fit in with the rest of the guys in my section - or vice versa if the instructor singles them out for whatever reason.

And I've also noticed a benefit to hearing what you're playing even more up close and personal - there's all sorts of stuff going on that you might not be privvy to without the pick-up microphone and headphones.

I say get one - I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
  8. ignore me

ignore me Member

I'm another Euph player with a silent brass (bit of a trend here....) and I think it's ok. Rehearsal room with reverb off is a good option (or church with full reverb whilst playing pedal notes -bit weird!) but tuning is as much of an issue with any sort of mute playing and the connection to the pickup can be a bit 'delicate' - i.e. easily knackered.

I would definetly recommend one for anyone in a flat or terraced house but it does need to be balanced with going to band and playing without it.
  9. Jasper

Jasper Member

The metronome and electronic tuner features are pretty useful as well

10. Jonny5Stars

Jonny5Stars New Member

Use one for cornet/trumpet. Excellent piece of kit. Have DW practice mute too which I use when battery runs flat.
    Benefits of silent brass is being able to hear without overblowing as there is much less resistent than normal practice mute and input means you can play along with MP3/CD etc. However have found DW mute better for developing tone.
  11. Soppy

Soppy Member

Appreciate that this is abit of an old thread now, but just thought I'd bring it up to say I positively say DON'T use a silent brass all the time.

Last year was my first year of Uni, and because of the (stupid!) way I was working, I couldn't get into the practice rooms. So for all of the first term I practiced (every day nearly) with a Silent mute. For the next two terms, I did the same except I had Band practice once a week. The result? By Easter (ie after two terms) I'd completely recked my tone, intonation and tuning :( It's taken me best part of 10 weeks of playing (every day) without it to sort my tone out, and my intonation isn't too bad now, but I'm still struggling with my tuning. It's OK if you're playing without it in say 2 rehersals a week, and you only practice once or twice during the week, but in my experiance, using it all the time is a big no no. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to practice less and not use it, and that's exactly waht I'm going to do :)

Although it is good for recording yourself onto a computer, because you don't get the distortion that you get on a cassette player :)
  12. BrianT

BrianT Member

I've been practising with a practice mute all summer, since there weren't regular band practices. Saturday I got a chance to play without a mute in a fairly big room and nearly deafened myself - my ears were ringing. That's the downside of practice mutes...
  13. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I have recently started using a silent brass system and I would have to agree with the last 2 posts. They are great if you have got home late from work etc and would like to have a quick practice without disturbing the heighbours but I would not recommend using one all the time as with any type of practice mute they do change the tonal qualities and intonation of the instrument and so can effect your tunning when playing without. A very useful tool to have but not a necessity for home practice
  14. persins

persins Member

Not tried the Silent brass but did have a bremner sshhhhhh mute which was excellent. Unfortunately, I got drunk and lost it!
    There was minimal additional resistance unlike the DW practice mute and I found that practicing with the Ssshhhhhh mute was actually having some beneficial affects on tone quality etc. Nothing replaces practicing without a mute but it did stave off the complaints from the neighbours!
  15. Veri

Veri Member

I personally just practice without a mute and probably do annoy the neighbours. I've practiced for about half an hour 5-6 times a week, and haven't had any complaints yet (and I live on the 2nd floor of a block of flats with someone next door, upstairs, and underneath!)
  16. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I'm moving into an apartment in the fall and am thinking of getting a silent brass system so I can practice there. The lease requires that I have noise that is "no louder than normal speaking voice". Will silent brass meet this requirement? Thanks for all input.

EDIT: Merged with existing thread, PB, Mod

2nd EDIT: Remember to take the replies with you next time Peter, not just the original post! Double-merged! Dyl, Mod. ;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  17. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Can't say for sure but unless I am ripping my Eb Bass to shreds, My wife cannot hear me playing in the next room when she has the telly on a fairly low volume.

Might be worth having a look / chat with Yamaha to see what the average db output is?
  18. zak

zak Member

Silent brass will do the trick no problem but I'm not sure that total practice on a silent brass will be good for your playing. However, if you have no choice then its certainly better than no practice.

19. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Ya I'd still be able to practise without the Silent Brass on weekends it'd just be during the week that I would be at my apartment.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

100% agree! Any sort of practice relies on feedback that can help you judge your own performance. Silent brass has not the best specifications from the pickup mic through the amp to the earphones! The dynamic and frequency range of the electronic system is limited and gives a false reading if you try to develop your expression and sound.