Silent Brass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by spookybiking, Nov 30, 2002.

1. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

Just recieved it today and its great good piece of musical equipment

What your thought about it???????
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I've been thinking about getting one of these..
    would it be an improvement on my trusty practice mute?
  3. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

yea definatly

they are good and u can hear your playing in more detail
  4. Keppler

Re: yea definatly

oh god.. you're talking like that's a good thing! ;)
  5. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

I payed £95 for mine trombone one for horn and my mate from another company paid £90 and that is a cornet one.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Then they go and change it

I bought a euphonium Silent Brass a couple years ago. Just the mute, as my daughter already had the trumpet and Flugel mutes and the electronics. I haven't used it in quite some time. I found it didn't respond well to the lowest register. Now they've changed Silent Brass, and I understand the electronics are closer to a little studio, with effects.

The guy who plays bass trombone in our orchestra uses his SB mute as a straight mute for practice. I'm not sure he's ever plugged it in.
  7. Highams

Highams Member

I have had the SB euphonium mute for some time, and now only use it about once a month as a sort of 'refresher' to hear the sound close up and dry.
    I much prefer the Dennis Wick practice mute which can really ring when played true.
    The SB is good for the various acoustics and direct recording but the weight on balance are problem.
    ( This is on a Willson 2900 )
  8. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

Wilson Instruments

I've heard they make a Tenor Horn ( Where would i find out about them)
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

see!!! the beeper has gone mad!!! its beeped the si-lent out of si-lent brass!!!!!
  10. asteria

asteria Member

I asked around about silent brass once and was told there is no specific tenor horn one made but the trombone one fits fine.

Never bought one in the end, couldn't afford it so just got a practice mute instead. From what i'm told the silent brass works as well as a practice mute, unless you have the reverberance on church mode all the time!

Think the *beepety* *beep*ing *beep*er is fixed now! :)
  11. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I use the french horn one - fits fine and works for me , dont know if its much different from the trombone one or not.
  12. horn1

horn1 Member

I have the trombone one. I find it very useful for warming up, practising late on etc. but if you use it all the time it can effect your sound.
  13. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I used to have one for in halls, but sold it in the end and bought one of the little wallace collection jobbies. They're quite good, but I always had CBA setting up the headphones etc. Beware putting it on "church mode" and thinking you sound great! :wink:
  14. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

I've been wanting to get this system for years and all the advertising sounds great, but my main problem is the neighbours (we have thin walls and floors!), the advertising says that you can't hear anything unless you're plugged in but surely that's rubbish?? Especially if some people use them as practice mutes (and they must be able to hear without plugging it all in!)
  15. Keppler

you'd be amazed at how much practice mutes actually do dampen. When you're playing it, I find I actually feel more through the vibrations than hear the sound.
    Yes it is audible, but my apartment also has very thin walls, and I've been told I can't be heard.
  16. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

practise mutes are very effective- I have friends who have them and they're really quiet... I need to get hold of one someday... (and no, not to stick in my drum kit! :p)
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

ive got one i just dont use it anymore!
  18. blue euph

blue euph Member

I have a silent brass mute for my euphonium. They're ok if you're in a college dorm situation if you don't have access to the music buidling and a practice room. The main thing that I hate about it is its like you are dealing with a bunch of wires (ac adapter if you use it, the wire that hooks up from the mute to the modual headphones, metronome if you plug it in to the modual). If they made one that's wireless that would be cool. As somebody metioned earlier, the low register doesn't speak to well with the mute.

I hardly use mine nowdays except occasionaly I use just the mute as a practice mute.
  19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i've got a good old denis wick practice mute. i heard the SB system didn't give you the same advantages in tone and breathing as a traditional practice mute so I'm a bit wary of splashing out all that money...
  20. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

I guess the Tuba version will be big. But why can't these smart gits invent one for percussion. You know a kinda box type thing that you get a crane in and lower it down over the player so that you can't hear him.

or would that just be an answer to prayer ! ! ! ! ! :D