Silent Brass System

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Foxbummer, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Foxbummer

Foxbummer New Member

Anyone know if the Yamaha Silent Brass System for trumpet/cornet works ok with a sop?

Was thinking of getting one, but didn't want to knacker up the bell of my sop (as its brand new!) if the mute is a bit too big for a sop bell.
  2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Silent Brass fits in Sop Ok.
    I have one but don't use it, haven't for years.. use Shhhhmute instead..
  3. BrianT

BrianT Member

I have a trumpet one and it fits the Bb trumpet bell, but it's too fat for the Sop bell.
    The mute is quite heavy and tends to fall out of the Bb after a while. It doesn't lodge in the bell very well.

BTW with headphones on the sound quality is just too noisy, so I never use it electronically any more, but I do use the mute itself on the Bb as the intonation is better than the Denis Wick practice mute.

And I use the Denis Wick practice mute on the sop...

Don't know about schmutes, but I've heard they're excellent.
  4. Foxbummer

Foxbummer New Member

i'll look into a shhhmute then, cheers.. i probably wouldn't have bothered with the headphones after the novelty has worn off.
  5. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

I have the trumpet/cornet silent brass and just been loaned a B&H Sovereign soprano. The silent brass mute fits ok in the sop the only difference is that my wife says is that its not quite as quiet on the sop as it is on the Bb. (Or is that just me having to blow harder!?)
  6. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I have a yamaha silent brass cornet/trumpet version, which only just fits my shilke sop.... much prefer to use my wallace practice mute. I too have heard the shhhhhh mutes are good but not had the chance to try one to compare.