Silent Brass System

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bariblues, Mar 19, 2005.

1. bariblues

bariblues New Member

Hi People,

You'll have to forgive me if I'm asking a silly question or one that has been asked before but I've been searching and not found the answer I'm looking for yet so thought I'd put it to the people :)

As you can probably guess by the username I've chosen I play the baritone (admittedly not very well but I've had a wee break of about 10 years and I'm just getting back into it again). I currently practice with a DW PM which is ok and it's doing wonders for building up my stamina but I do like the idea of the silent brass system - well except for the sole problem that they don't appear to do a specific mute for the baritone BUT by my reckoning the tromone/bass trombone might fit (bell on my bari is 8.5" I think - it's a Courtois). So the question is - does anyone know whether the trombone mute will fit my bari? Or will one of the other mutes - surely the Euph one will be too big? Or am I destined to play for the rest of my life with my DW PM?

You help is much appreciated before my neighbours put in an eviction order at my flat! :D
  2. Highams

Highams Member

You will have to take the instrument with you and try one out in the shop, a dealer a tbn mute would fit Sue's Sov. Baritone and it was way too small!
  3. Should be OK, I have a trombone one for flugel and I'd have thought your bell would be bigger than mine.
  4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

When I went to get a mute for my baritone, the trombone and the euphonium mutes wouldn't fit, but that was with a sovreign. They also tried it out on several of the armati models and that didnt work either. My a euphonium!
  5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

A query about these Silent brass systems:

I'm starting to get back into serious practise (shock horror!) but my flat at uni has a very low ceiling and I find it hard to blow as I can hear nothing with the sound boucing straight just wondering wether anyone may have had the same type of experience and wether these silent brass systems are worth it?

6. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I have a baritone, and a Silent Brass system, and you are correct, they do not make them specifically for the baritone. The Euphonium one is too big, and will not fit; the trombone one is too small allowing the shank of the mute to connect with the taper of the bell.

But, what I did was to wrap a soft cloth around the bottom of the mute, providing an almost air-tight fit - certainly enough for my dog not to hear me (she howls otherwise!). This is not perfect, but enough to stop the neighbours complaining. I would not recommend this to students in unis though - the walls between rooms can be very thin!

A music shop suggested getting another layer of cork to wrap around the base, but I never found anyone who sold such items.

Good luck - if you don't need a perfect fit, try the trombone mute and a new duster!

7. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

I use a trombone silent brass mute for my Sovereign Tenor Horn but I need to add some more cork or neoprene around the base as it goes in too far and makes the notes above the stave horribly flat.

However, it was a godsend while I was at Uni and now I live in a flat, it is my only option for keeping on side with the neighbours. The annoying thing is it fits my Dad's Sovereign horn perfectly, ie no distortion, but his horn is about 25 yrs older than mine.

I think like the previous advice states, try before you buy.
    yonhee likes this.