Silent Brass Pickup Mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Hi all

bit of a problem.

my pickup mute for my silent brass appears to have broken :evil:

does anyone know where i can get a replacement, or if they are repairable ?

many thanks

2. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

They look pretty well sealed to me!

Have you been able to prove that it's the mute by checking it with another base unit?

If that doesn't work, you can buy the mutes on their own. Normans sell them, I'm sure you can get them from other places as well.
  3. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

i don't have another unit to try it against, but i have just plugged it into my soundcard, and it seems to work ok.
    i have tried the headphones on my pc as well, and they work ok, so i guess it must be the base unit.

now, where did i put my multimeter ?

4. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Oooh... proper electronics. Good luck!

5. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

oh fu................dge !

anyone know where i can get a replacement board for my ST7 from ?

it would appear that one of the surface mount components has given up on me :evil:

6. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

D'oh! You can usually get 'em off, unless it's a bga that's broken. Solder wick and scalpel is my method of choice - I like cutting the legs off! That is, of course, assuming you can replace the part once you've removed it... :wink:

ST7 is older/bigger unit isn't it? Maybe someone with an upgrade could donate one. If not, you could treat yourself to an ST9. I think you can get those separately too. I'm not sure how the two compare, but I'm very fond of the ST9 I have.
  7. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

if you know which componenet it is you will brobably be able to get one from RS or farnell
  8. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Bring it to band friday Chris - if this snow clears - i got the disks u asked for
  9. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

cheers dave

c u friday

10. r they worth getting?, i had a little go with 1 and it was gr8 but i dont wanna get them if they break easy, r they usually reliable?
  11. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

mine is one of the older style ones and i must have had it for about 5 - 6 years.

this is the first problem i have had with it.

hope this helps

12. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

the silent brass mutes are great (if like me) you want to practice but have restraints like living in a bungalow with old people living either side!

and yes, they are reliable.

the only point i feel i should make is that the sound you get isn't very realistic, so they aren't much good if you want them as a mic to record say a cd of yourself. but the feature enabling you to mix in with a backing cd is a welcome commodity.

but for the purpose they are designed, to enable you to play "silently", they are very good at what they do. the new ST9 smaller unites are a distinct advantage, as i can fit it in my gig bag and practice newhere, even in the common room if im lucky!
  13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I love living on a farm in the middle of nowhere! :D
  14. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

It's alright for some!!! :roll:
  15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Aye James, though I do have Silent Brass from when I lived in a tenement flat.