Silent Brass cheap diy option

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Queeg2000, Jan 26, 2018.

1. julian

julian Active Member

To be honest Mesmerist I was wondering that too! I know I made the quip about using a galvanized dustbin as a practice mute for a BBb bass and Rebel tuba entered into the spirit of things and I acknowledged his good humour (notice I didn't say anything about an old watering can for Regent baritones for fear of meltdowns and stamping of feet) and suddenly there is an attack on Cory Band! Let's face it, if you put in all the hard work and can do the business, you're entitled to take the credit. Just saying......

Suzi Q and Mesmerist like this.
  2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

*shakes head sadly at Julian for mentioning the unmentionables*

3. julian

julian Active Member

I know, I know - sometimes I just cant help myself. To be honest, I'm supposed to be doing the washing up. (hangs head in shame and shuffles off to the kitchen, stage left........)

4. Mesmerist

*ping!* (sound of a good idea). When you've finished washing up, stuff the nasty plastic container with some old socks and you've got your own personal silent mute.

5. julian

julian Active Member

If it were my socks they would be a little too close for comfort!

6. Mesmerist

If you were to move to a mini Euphonium then problem solved. Or wash your feet?

7. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

The words ‘a bit of a divergence here’ surely indicates that there’s no intent to change the course of the thread much. It’s just a couple of members sharing their experience of folk and/or bands taking things (IMHO) too seriously - it’s a coincidence that we both chose the same band and I anticipate that many others have similar displays and tribal followers. If I played as well as Cory then I’d think it in poor taste to show off and to some extent a sign of weakness - those that are truely capable don’t need to show off and derive no pleasure from reminding others of the immesnse gap between their skills. I still think that the showy Lion Tamer uniforms and the like are a things of the past too and that’s where they should have been left.

I thought Rebel Tuba’s response perfect and, also as above, “the the ability to not take ourselves too seriously is indeed a great attribute”.

Returning to practice mutes they’re a great development aid in that apparently they open up the throat such that you learn better control of it and then play better when un-muted.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  8. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

I actually know a few of the Cory players (past and present) and always find them very friendly as individuals. I'm sure they don't all showboat, I only know one that habitually shows off and without giving any names, I'm sure most people who have seen them know who I mean.

Back to the muted, I have very little experience playing with a mute. Used a mute more in the last two weeks in the bandroom far more than I've previously used one in total.

I find it difficult to practice with a mute as it makes the cornet a different instrument altogether. A piece I've nailed perfectly muted sounds like I'm playing it on central heating pipes when I remove the mute.

I'm pretty sure the solution is in the question, IE experience. With practice, the mute will become more natural. Though if I can hear my notes (or noise) better with a mute hopefully I can improve the sound quietly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice