signature solos/tunes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by marksmith, Nov 30, 2009.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

As I may have mentioned on another site, I am recognised for playing 'The Cavalier', a solo that I first heard played in 1972, by David Gough, of 'Pressed Steel Fisher (Birmingham) Band, and which I adopted as my signature solo/tune, as I loved it so much..
    Do you have a signature solo?
    If so, what? and when/where did you first play it?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Cavalier
    solos
    solo
    Birmingham) Band
    tune
  3. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Until only last year, I was only playing Endearing Young Charms and then Pantomime on loop for a good 8 years or so.
    I am glad to announce this addiction has now been weaned off and I have since played several other pieces including Peace, Brillante and my own arrangement of "Flower Song" (Listen to some live performances of them if you want via www.tongwynlaisband.com
    Learning new solos has made a big differences in my standard of playing and enthusiasm for practicing. May even start learning some other ones too already! Any suggestions?

I think a soloist having a signature tune is unhealthy for their progress because (as I found) the more times you play one partcular solo the more stale they will sound.
    What is the "recommended sell-by-date" of learning - performing - discarding a solo? Hmm interesting..... a year perhaps?

4. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Good point Martyn, I wasn't suggesting that I had played nothing else!
    I have dabbled with a few over the years, Endearing Young Charms, La Belle Americaine, Carnival of Venice (Remmington's), Weber's Last Waltz etc but I still love The Cavalier (and it's still not stale!). I even have it as my ring-tone! What more can I say?

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If you hear a BBb Bass playing the introductory solo to "Come follow the band" in a warm-up room for a contest, that'll probably be me...

That's about as close as I get. No-one writes proper BB solos....

6. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

What about the Ground Bass intro?

You could always write yourself one, or ask if anyone wants a commission :biggrin:

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I'm glad no one so far has said "Benedictus"
    That one is on a par with "The Lazy Trumpeter"

8. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Buster Strikes Back.

Beginning to wish I'd never heard of it, let alone played it! Every single ****** concert, it's enough to make you want to quit altogether........

I made the seemingly unforgivable mistake of choosing to record something different on our latest CD, thinking perhaps people would grow to love something else.

Not a chance. All I got was complaints:

'I'm not buying it if Buster isn't on there!'

'FINE! Don't ****** buy it then, see if I care!'!!