*sigh* I'll conform...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pookiyama, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

Right, hello.

I was christened at birth "Benjamin Charles Maydon", but from the age of eleven until now most people have referred to me as "Pooka" (don't ask).

I'm a renegade.

I don't follow rules, I don't play the game. If you tell me to do something, I won't. If you ask me to do something, I probably will. I have very strong political beliefs which I will stick to. I stand up for communism, for pacifism and for freedom - I am against violence, patriotism and religious intolerance. Despite also being a Christian, I an a uniterian universalist. I don't believe there is one 'right way'. I'm also against evangelism. Nobody has any right to tell anyone else what to do. It's not what Jesus would have wanted.

Currently about to start my third year at The Nottingham Trent University, which I don't like, studying English with Creative Writing. My eventual aim is to go and live in Japan, teaching English, but we all know this isn't going to happen, mostly because I'm lazy, and partly because this isn't a fairytale story.
    In m first year at NTU, I hit a massive creative block, because the course had absolutely NO scope for creativity, and as I live for and off the expressive/performing arts I started to get a little depressed. I'm never the most cheerful of people anyway, and as my fiancée dumped me around that time, I began to consider suicide unless I could find some sort of outlet soon...

...which brings me to the world of banding.

I've never been able to play a brass instrument - my embochure isn't developed enough, and I'd sold my trumpet on eBay by that time - but I'd been experimenting with percussion a few months hence, and found out that although I didn't make a very good drummer - I wasn't confident enough - I wasn't too bad at playing percussion instruments. I can stll get aout six or seven different sounds out of my cowbell, although I've never found a practical use for that.

There were some small posters advertising Bestwood stuck up in the corridors of NTU, and I thought to myself, "Oh, a brass band. That's interesting." Called up Richard (postie) and asked if they had space for an auxiliary percussionist. He said that, in fact, they were. I went along, liked the rehearsal, and four days after I'd joined the band, I was playing at a concert to 60+ people. The adrenaline rush was amazing, I'd never experienced anything like it before (barring, perhaps, a performance in a school production where I was the only year 7 in the main cast).

Over time I learned to play different percussion instruments in different ways, until I was secure enough to play third percussion at Bestwood without making too many stupid mistakes - performing with them at Butlins and the Areas and never actually getting a negative comment on the sheets - I'm also now the longest-standing percussionist with Bestwood for quite some time, as I have watched, to my knowledge, three drummers come and go, and one tuned percussionist go.

At the moment, I am on hiatus from banding, being as I am still on summer holiday (during which I have been working more on material with my rock band "Unbalanced Grass"), but in a week or so I am set to return to Bestwood. I have no idea what my section is doing - last I knew, I was playing a hybrid of tuned and non-tuned percussion - but I'll see whatever comes as a challenge. Although I am ridiculed and put-down at rehearsals, I still keep going to band, because creating music is my passion.

So there I am - disillusioned student, unswayed renegade, lead singer in a rock band, second percussionist extraordinaire in Bestwood - and also webmatser of their official site.

It's not quite who I wanted to be, but I'll stick with it for the time being. Perhaps until I go to Japan, but as I already covered, I won't be doing that either.

Obscurity, here I come!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    English
    go.At
    Bestwood
    Nottingham Trent University
    Richard
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I agree. Don't conform! (Except to tMP rules, that is!;) )

PS Plenty of brass bands in japan, including the Conch Shell band in Tokyo.