Sidney Wright - Trimdon Concert Brass

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Trumpettrousers, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Trumpettrousers

Trumpettrousers New Member

Sidney Wright 1925 - 2008

'A True and Dedicated Bandsman'

It is with great sadness that Trimdon Concert Brass Band announce the death of our Chair and founder member, Sidney Wright on Sunday 2nd November 2008.

Sid started to learn to play the Cornet in 1932 and then went on to clock up over 70 years of service to Brass Banding. During this time he has played just about every instrument and has also been a member of many other Bands:

• Netherton Colliery Junior Band (Northumberland)
    • Netherton Colliery Senior Band
    • 1936 Chopwell Colliery Band
    • 1936 Learned to Play Tenor Trombone
    • 1938 Chopwell Colliery Band 2nd Trombone
    • 1939 Moved To London Barnet Town Band Solo Horn
    • Fulham Borough Band Solo Horn
    • Roehampton Home Guard Band Flugal Horn
    • Blue Jackets Band Royal Navy Solo Horn
    • Spalding Town Band (Lincs) Solo Horn
    • Marston Valley Band (Bedford) Solo Horn
    • Horden Colliery Band Solo Horn/Baritone
    • Ryhope Silver Band Solo Horn
    • Durham Constabulary Band Solo Horn
    • Peterlee Town Band Solo Horn
    • Shotton Colliery Band Solo Horn
    • Thornley Colliery Band Solo Horn
    • Trimdon Concert Brass Solo Horn, Baritone and Eb Bass
    He will be sadly missed.
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

So sad to hear of the passing away of a true gentleman bandsman Sydney. He always made me welcome when I had pleasure of playing with your band and will be sadly missed by the banding community in the North East.

John C
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear of Sid's passing. When I was learning to play as a youngster in Horden Colliery Band I often used to go to Sid's house for lessons. Do we have any details of the funeral etc.
  4. Trumpettrousers

Trumpettrousers New Member

Sids Funeral takes place at 10am on Friday morning at Hesleden Methodist Church, Front Street, Hesleden. The family have requested the Band to play and we would greatly appreciate any help from anyone who can join us. This may involve a short march to the cemetery. Please can you email us if you are able to play. Many Thanks.

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sidney Wright Trimdon Concert Brass

This is Sid's son Alan, I would just like to say thank you for your kind thoughts and words it is much appreiciated by myself and Sid's family. It was my Dad's enthusiasm for music which made me take up an instrument and even though it was the guitar rather than Brass he gave me all the encouragement I could have asked for. To this day if I am asked what got me interested in playing an instrument, my answer is 'my Dad'.
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Sidney Wright

My condolences to Sid's family and Trimdon Band, the world is a poorer place without him, not just the Brass Band world. I have known Sid for over forty years and admired his ability and enthusiasm. He was an unassuming, reliable and honest man, salt of the earth, play anywhere member of the band and an example to all, young or old. He was the grass roots of brass banding, his loyalty and commitment were never doubted. He would have been on parade on Sunday, proudly wearing his medals, still doing his bit at the age of 84. I deem it a privilege to have shared a part his life. God bless him.
    Brian Wright. (not related)