Side of the face ache

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Leyfy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I have a young trumpet player (about grade 3, aged 13) who has been complaining of the side of his face aching when playing. It also looks slightly swollen to me today. The main area is at the back of his cheek, just above the jaw line.

Any ideas what would have caused this? He has a brace, but he tells me that their are no cuts or ulcers in his mouth in this area.

He warms up and warms down properly at the start of the lesson. We were not playing high notes (D on the fourth line) and he'd only been playing for 15 minutes.

I've never had a pupil complain of this problem before - has anyone else encountered this? I have suggested he takes a few days break from playing, and we'll take it from there.

Any ideas? :confused:
  2. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

I've found my upper wisdom teeth on the move (but not through yet) to cause my face aching. Just an idea as my wisdom teeth have been coming through (a lot older than 13 though :) & I've played through with this... :biggrin: & bear it

If not, maybe jaw muscle strain!?!

Suggest he sees his dentist if it persists
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Could also be temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ or TMJD). I've known a couple of people with this condition where it was affected somewhat by pressure on the lower jaw during brass playing, although they've been euph and tuba players, where the mouthpiece is significantly larger than a trumpet mouthpiece. I'd advise that he see a doctor straight away. Here's a Wikipedia link for some more information:

Temporomandibular joint disorder
  4. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

I sometimes find if playing very loudly for long periods that the muscle connecting the upper and lower jaw aches, but not over a 15 minute spell. Having played through the joys braces for a number of years I would be suprised if it is that as that normally just causes grief on the point of contact between mouthpiece and lips.
  5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Hmmm.... this all sounds rather worrying!

I've told him not to play until next wednesday, and then to take it easy at rehearsal. If it hurts then, he's to stop and seek further advice.

Its a real shame - he really struggled when he had his brace put in, and we were just making some real progress :(

(just noticed my grammatical error in my first post too - sorry about that!! :rolleyes: )
  6. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

The only thing that I could suggest to help with the brace issue (if he is getting associated pain) is that my orthodontist gave me some bees wax type stuff to put on the bits on my teeth to stop the pain. Not an attractive look but it kept me playing! :D

Also, sometime when the wire were changed it would pull on my back teeth more than normal. I never suffered pain in the area you have mentioned, but could understand how it may effect him.

If this ache has only just started this week and it corresponds to a trip to the dentist then that may well be the issue.
  7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I would suggest consulting either a Doctor or Dentist !!!!
  8. BigD

BigD Member

I sometimes get this if I have not kept up with my practice and then start a heavy show. I think it's something to do with my ear / nose / throat and comes from using bad habits to compensate for lack of practice!
    The region you mention swells noticeably, but after a day or two it goes away (and I start getting some stamina back and remember how I should be doing it!!!)