Sick, Twisted, Disgraceful and Disgusting.....i am appalled by our newspaper

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Masterblaster jnr, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Hello All,

I have just read through my local newspaper, The Huddersfield Examiner, and found a comment which i find completely disgraceful and i feel the examiner should be disgraced of themselves for publishing such horrible, sick gestures towards cats.
    The reader's comment reads:

'Sorry, But i disagree with your correspondant from Newsome who keeps cats.
    Five of these smelly animals that don't belong to me patrol my garden doing their dirt all over the place.
    We moan about dog dirt, but what about cat dirt?
    Cats are lazy and, by nature, hunters. They spend hours waiting for their victims, whether it be mouse, bird or whatever.
    My plan is simple, send all cats to Newsome. failing that, buy a shotgun.'

I feel this is totally unacceptable to one be thought of, and two published by a respected Newspaper.
    Am i right in thinking his may be giving people ideas????
    Am i right in thinking that it is a disgrace to publish something about killing animals??

i'm up-tight about the subject as my cat was shot.......
    Am i right in thinking, "Huddersfield Examiner, get a grip"???

2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

maybe they shouldn't have published it, but when cats come and do their business in your garden all the time I can understand the sentiment in the comment.

3. Masterblaster jnr

Then surely just say you're not happy with cats doing their business on thei lawn. no need to go on to mention shooting cats and encouraging people to shoot cats

4. barrytone

barrytone Member

It's my local paper too and dog owners have been getting a very hard time of it recently for allowing dogs to foul without clearing it up. I have to say my garden was ruined by cats pooing all over it until I got my dogs. I have had cats in the past and I am an animal lover and although I understand the sentiment of the writer, I do think he has taken things a little too far but maybe he is as angry with the dirty cats as many seem to be with owners who don't clean up after their dogs.

The difference between dogs and cats is that cats run free and an owner has little idea what the cats up to most of the time whereas a dog owner shouldn't be allowing it's dog to run free unsupervised, in which case the owner should be cleaning up after it.

Maybe the writer is a dog owner who is tired of persecution? But I agree the sentiment is there but the actions indicated are a extreme.

5. Rambo

Rambo Member

Get a life;)
    chill out man!

Freedom of speech young man, they can say what they want. Shotgun a bit over the top though air......... no leaving it right there

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

If my dog goes onto the farms around here, without being accompanied, and is worrying the stock, the farmer can shoot it.
    So if it's OK for dogs........................................

7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I can't see anything wrong with it.

Best use of a cat involves a sack, some bricks, some string and a canal.

8. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Now that's just cruel! I'm not the world's greatest cat lover but I couldn't do that to one!
    Their are humane ways to keep cats off you garden besides resorting to shooting them and I'm sure that when a farmer has to shoot a dog it is to protect his animals and livelyhood. Shooting a cat because it's chasing mice in your garden is going a bit far :redface: God, find a humane way of keeping them off there are plenty!

And as for you Bayerd you shoud be ashamed to even think such a thing!!! :tongue:

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

You might think this is funny, or clever. Unfortunately it's not. There are humane ways to remove animals who are a nuisance to their environment, and doing the above to someone's pet is effectively murdering a member of their family.

The Cats Protection League
    The RSPCA

Both of the above organisations would strongly object to this sort of behaviour. As do I.

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I'd shoot the owner as well......after making them clean up their filthy animals waste first.
    Alternatively I would save up all my dog's mess in a bag and dump it in their garden....................No .... I think i'd shoot the cat, its a better solution.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello All
    The Huddersfield Examiner
    Disgusting
    Newsome
    cats
  12. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'd shoot the cats, especially where I live - terrace house town!!

They are left to roam round, they c**p everywhere and I see them seating on people cars. If I saw it sat on my beautiful car I would shoot it!! Owners have no business to allow there pets to roam round the streets ruin peoples property.

One rule for dog owners another for cat owners (get away with murder)
    So lets start a campaign to shoot the damn things!! ;)

13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

My old Dad used to say if you want to buy a cat as a pet, it should pass the Bucket Test.

The Test is: Take a bucket of water, hold the cat under the water for 30 minutes and if it's still alive when you pull it out, it's worth keeping. ;)

Firm but fair.

14. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I think its very easy to be "shocked and disgusted" by such a letter. That is until you've had 8 different cats (none of which are yours) using your front garden and backyard as a toilet on a daily basis. I find it shocking, disgusting and disgraceful that I had to spend my saturday mornings picking up cat litter with a trowel and disposing of it. If I didn't my garden stank and was completely unusable. Luckily I've now moved.

Shooting them is too kind in my opinion.

15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If you buy a cat or a dog, you have a responsibility for it's behaviour - and cat owners would be well advised that any property damage their pet causes can be claimed against the owner's home insurance.

Likewise if your cat/dog strays onto the road, I run over it and as a direct result crash my bike, your home insurance will be liable for my personal injury, and the damage to my bike.

The language used in the paper os obviously harsh and intended to shock - in which it appears it has succeeded. However I find it difficult to disagree with the sentiment.

If people want something cute and furry that's thoroughly independant and doesn't need much supervision, why don't they do what we did and get a hamster?

He's tame, lets you stroke him, isn't a bit of trouble, does his business neatly in the corner of his cage, doesn't chew the furniture, smell, or kill things, or trash other people's gardens. All he needs is a few nuts, the occasional raspberry or carrot-peeling as a treat, and some bedding and sawdust once a week.

Dogs and cats are over-rated. Hamsters are the way forward.

16. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I say get a rat. All of the above plus mummy won't go near it... :evil:

17. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I hate there screaky noises they make, reminds me of the a typical 4th section back row or horn section

18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Plus, when you're fed up of them, they make good eating :eek::D

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Are those recipes from Freddy Starr's new cook book?

20. Masterblaster jnr

I can see this thread turning into something to do with sausages again!!!!!!!

21. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:D Actually they're genuine Heston Blumenthal recipes, to go with the snail porridge and bacon & egg ice-cream :rolleyes:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello All
    The Huddersfield Examiner
    Disgusting
    Newsome
    cats