Sibelius4-help please... More than one instrument on a percussion stave - playback..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I want to put some timp lines on the same stave as more general percussion stuff such as a triangle, and suspended cymbal.

Does anyone know how, in Sib 4, how to make this arrangement playback?

Thanks...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    percussion stave - playback
    same
    percussion stuff
    B
    Thanks
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That's like asking to put percussion parts within band parts for playback. Pitched vs. unpitched ... possibly using patch and clef changes (maybe Mike Lyons can help?)

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi Will,

If you have a GM2 sound card (like a Creative card) you can choose a drum set in the mixer - set it to orchestra set. If you put notes on the staff in normal note heads it will play the timps. Sometimes the C position will play snare drum but you can stop that by editing the staff's properties in the Edit Staff lines dialogue.

Also, make sure you use different note heads (from the properties window) for things like triangle and cymbals.

5. mikelyons

Just another thought - on my GM2 soundcard, the drum sounds in the orchestra set are much better than the standard set. I tend to use them (particularly the snare drum) more than the standard set, which sounds, by comparison, like a piece of coal hitting a tin roof.

There are also other sets you can use that have different combinations of sounds. The sfx set has some really good sound effects (car door, footsteps, scream etc) and the brush set is quite good too.

You can swap between the different sets using program commands, you use the form Px,y which you can work out from the mixer information. If you need any more help bring it on!

6. mikelyons

Hey Will! Did you get anywhere?

7. Will the Sec

Nope - can't get it to work. No matter what stave I use, and what method of changing the sound, the sounds don't change.

Could it be that I started this piece on Sib 1 a long time ago?

8. mikelyons

The way to test it would be to start a brand new score. Make sure the percussion staff was pointing to your soundcard and not the built in one and then copy all the music over onto the new piece to see if that made a difference.

If you want, you could send me the file and see if I experience the same problems?

9. Will the Sec

That's very kind of you, Mike.

On it's way...

10. mikelyons

OK, Had another thought (boy does that happen rarely) :)

Try this:

On an ordinary 5-line staff, put the glock part in voice 1 (stems up) and the timp part in voice 2 (stems down)

Making sure the text is in the appropriate voice, put technique text over the glock (you can hide it after) with ~P9. Put technique text in voice 2 under the timps and put ~P47.

If that doesn't work, the final alternative is to use an ossia staff when you want timp & glock at the same time. You will need to set them to different channels to be sure they both play the right sound and use the ~P commands as well to nail it. You will probably have to make the ossia staff normal size and you may have to use a small p rather than an upper case one - that depends on your sound card. Good luck with it.

11. Will the Sec

Had a chat with Mike by email, and came up with the following in exasperation...

• Create a glock stave
    • copy and paste the Glock part into the Timp staves with appropriate clef changes
    • silence the playback for the glock passages in that stave
    • by focussing on all but the extra glock stave, you get the look, the sound, and the correct printed image.
    Voila!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    percussion stave - playback
    same
    percussion stuff
    B
    Thanks