Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Colin Gray, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Colin Gray

Colin Gray Member

Hi everyone,

Sorry to start another thread on Sibelius... but I wonder if anybody can help?

I need to update my laptop from a very tired and old Windows XP to a new Windows 8. My old (but well used) Sib2 will not work on the Windows 8 so I am looking to get Sib7.

I've been all over the Avid website and all their Sib links do not work. I have found online educational discounts but want to confirm they'll activate my copy and I've also found an upgrade copy which says it'll do any copy but not "first". I'd like to know if I can upgrade from Sib2 straight to 7, and if they'll continue to support it?! I'd also like to know if I'll be able to open all my Sib2 files in 7? Has anybody else upgraded/bought Sib7 for Windows 8?

So sorry to sound stupid - just fed up going round and round in circles and need to get this sorted ASAP before the start of the new term! How I hate technology....give me a stick to hit something with, it is far easier!!

Thanks in advance
  2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi Colin,

As far as I know, you should be able to upgrade, but why not go for the educational discount? All you need is an educational email address (, .ac etc) You get the fully-functioned version of Sib 7 for a very reasonable price. Don't go for Sib First, it is basically carp. Avid (one of the worst companies in the world to do business with) are still, AFAIK, validating new installations, but do make sure you get version the 7.1.3 download and update the Sibelius sounds as well. You can almost guarantee the disc you get will be 7.0.

IMHO the big downside to Sib 7 is the ribbon interface, but if, like me, you are used to shortcut keys, you can still use these with Sib 7. Also, the menus based on rt-click still work as well. There are many improvements in Sib 7 over Sib 2 and there are many people out here who are willing to help you get up to speed.
  3. DRW

DRW New Member

I thought the educational discount was for people working in education or students, not for those that have access to an educational email address.
  4. fartycat

fartycat Member

In the past all it would take is a quick email or facebook message to Daniel Spreadbury (one of the lead programmers in the Sibelius development team) and he would have answered this in seconds. Sadly Avid sacked Daniel and the entire programming team and outsourced development to overseas. Happily almost the entire team have been snapped up by a rival software company who are now in the process of making an even better music notation programme. So I would try and spend as little money as possible on getting Sib 7 Colin as Sibelius could crash and burn pretty soon.
  5. DRW

DRW New Member

Thanks for this Paul. I didn't know about this and a quick search of Daniel's name returns more interesting info. Good advice to wait and see what they produce.
  6. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

7. mikelyons

I would point you to the bold text taken from Colin's initial post. I infer that Colin either teaches or is a student and will therefore have an academic address. If a teacher, he may need to provide a wage slip, but otherwise...

As for Sibelius crashing and burning, I think it has already done so. The educational version of Sibelius is fully functional(unlike first or student versions) and you may be able to get a crossgrade discount when the Steinberg program comes out. But this may not happen for 12 months or more and it will certainly take longer than that for the program to penetrate the educational market and start to appear in schools. Colin said he wanted to get it sorted ASAP. I don't think he'd be happy to wait 12 to 18 months (or longer) in order to do that.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  8. Beesa

Beesa Member

Interesting reading Daniel Spreadbury's blog here

I can't wait for the software to be published. I know that I am in a very small minority here - but I detest Sibelius. I tried, oh I tried, but it just isn't tuitive to my way of thinking. I got fed up with all the kids in the band telling me that it could do anything and that I just had to find the commands "they're there if you just look". Sibelius seemed to be neither Windows nor Mac in its procedures and it was as if I was learning a new way of doing things everytime I used the damned programme. I have been using windows since mid 1980s and music software (notation software at least) since the early 1990s.

In the olden days there used to be a phrase "my database is better than your database". This was before Microsoft Access became the standard for a while. And the meaning of the phrase, was that people swore by whatever software they happened to use without even comparing other software. The same was with Sibelius, and Sibelius was/is everywhere.

Anyway, we'll see. God willing and all that, I'll be back in a year or two to maybe eat my words, but somehow I don't think I'll need to.

To the OP I hope you find a quick enough fix.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If you disliked Sib that much, for that long, why didn't you try Finale? Just curious ...
  10. Beesa

Beesa Member

I don't have an answer to that, sorry. I suppose I had invested in Sibelius and was determined to get to grips with it. Most of my work is simple notation. I ended up finding a programme for about erm..£20, possibly it was free, which was great and suited me, and then I import into Sibelius for scoring etc.

But I hold my hands up, I admit I am in a very small minority with my criticism of Sibelius. I know that from the pub after band (there is usually a 10-20 minute serious talk before we start gossiping, drinking, telling tales, drinking more, go for pizza blah blah) and I think the younger ones know how to wind me up by discussing their latest work on the computer using the S-word. I am learning to suffer in silence.

Perhaps I should have gone for Finale.
  11. Colin Gray

Colin Gray Member

Thank you to everybody for taking the time to reply and give me your thoughts and ideas, It is really appreciated. Lots to think about and look into.
    Best wishes to you all.
  12. DRW

DRW New Member

Fair point, I missed that.
  13. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I bought "Sib 7 First" editopn and then upgraded to full blown finale 2012 via the competitor upgrade route. saved me almost 200 quid.
  14. iffytboner

iffytboner Member

You could always try Musescore? It's free and a pretty good all-rounder. Google will tell you what you need to know if you haven't heard of it before
  15. Beesa

Beesa Member

Very often people could use a cheaper/free piece of software for the vast majority of their needs.

But Sibelius has (or at least had) the kudos of course.

Going back to the after band pub sessions, if anyone (eg me) says they use anything other than Sibelius (or maybe Finale) they are looked at with disdain. One of the detractors is a music teacher in a local school, he is Mr Sibelius personified and has been with it since version 1.000a or whatever. It turns out that 99.9% of his use is simply writing and printing out occasional parts for his pupils, a few amendments here and there, and he once arranged a quartet. For this sort of work it is simply not necessary to have such a high-powered and expensive piece of software such as Sibelius. Nice to have (I am led to believe) but not really necessary.

How many people are actually composing and scoring epic symphonies for the Hallé?
  16. mikelyons

I currently have over a hundred pieces - either composed or arranged - for various ensembles from full symphony orchestra to brass trio, which have been self or otherwise published. I was one of the first people in my school to actually use computers in the classroom and was definitely the first to use them for composition (even though the most you could manage was three beeps at a time and the printing was done on a dot matrix printer.) Starting with Atari Notator, then Logic and finally Sibelius, I have tried many different programs and Sibelius is definitely the most intuitive, user friendly and flexible one of the lot (despite the ribbon). I did not like the Finale approach, as it allows incorrect notation to be input - a definite no-no in the classroom. None of the other available programs looks as good on screen or on paper, except perhaps Lilypond, but that is so much of a hassle to learn and use that I really couldn't give it hard drive space!. If you don't want to spend, then I think MuseScore is probably the best free alternative.