Sibelius

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Ste69, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Hello all.

I'm looking for a copy of Sibelius (Not an Illegal one or anything like that) more like an older version of it that someone doesn't want any more.

Can anyone advise??? (Or offer) :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    Sibelius Hello
    copy of Sibelius
    older version
    offer
  3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

As far as I'm aware licences are non-transferrable so you can't sell or pass on old copies.
    Hunt around for the best deal on Sib 6 - it's worth it in the long run.
    An Education licence is only about £260 and is available to Students/Teachers/Parents - here.

4. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

May I suggest you take a look at the Mozart software. It's an excellent programme, with superb after-sales support via the Mozart forum. I believe the price of the latest version is around £95. Don't be put off by the low price! Try the evaluation copy, and then decide.

By the way - I do not earn anything by recommending the programme!

The web site is: www.mozart.co.uk

Barry

5. Ste69

Ste69 Member

I like it already! Is it fully Midi Compatible? I have a Yamaha DGX620 that has a USB connection.

6. eflatbass

I believe it is, but drop a line to Dave Webber (the creator of the Mozart programme) - he is very helpful. You should find his email address on the Mozart web site.

Barry

7. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Will do - but in the meantime, will just hook it up tonight and see what happens!

8. eflatbass

I should have added that I do not use any exterior midi hardware. If you check my web site, you will see that all the music plays through whatever the midi software is on your computer (I use the Windows media player). This has proved adequate for me, but I do know that a number of Mozart users have other 'devices' installed.

Setting the instrument sounds can be a little time consuming initially, but having done it, simply save a master score as a template (presumably brass band). It pays to include the percussion parts, as you can always remove them as and when required.

The first month of using the programme is obviously a learning curve, just like any other programme, but once mastered it is a complete joy to use.

9. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

I use capella

10. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

11. eflatbass

Sibelius - Mozart - Capella. At the end of the day, it is all down to an individual's preference, so the number 1 status will presumably be afforded to the programme a person uses.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    Sibelius Hello
    copy of Sibelius
    older version
    offer
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Nah, have to disagree. I've tried some seriously clunky software notation packages at various times. Sibelius is the industry standard for usability, so far as I can see. It's possible to write much less handy bits of kit...

14. eflatbass

That's fine Dave. You and Andrew place Sibelius at number 1; I prefer Mozart, and Pete obviously has the same feeling for Capella.

If that's the case, each one of us is happy with the programme we use.

Barry

15. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

16. eflatbass

Yes, Andrew. I believe that one of the limitations of the Student Edition is that it provides the user with up to 12 staves, where I sometimes need 19 or 20 for brass band works.

Barry

17. MoominDave

A person of no morals could of course seek out an online free cracked version of the full software.

But that would be reprehensible behaviour, and I could not condone it, despite Sibelius's equally unethical profiteering pricing scam (equal price in US dollars and UK pounds).

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... Rather a sweeping statement ...

19. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

But many people in this country believe that only because that's what they have been brainwashed into believing by the Finn Bro.'s (very effective, he grudgingly admits) marketing machine. Globally, I suspect you would find a far greater number of professional users would consider Finale to be the industry standard.

20. MoominDave

I did write 'usability' - I know Finale has a lot of things going for it. But (and here I'm mostly going from the reports of others, I admit) I'm told that it has a rather steeper learning curve and less intuitive interface than Sibelius.

21. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

In fairness, they are not the only example of such a pricing structure. Finale's (or more correctly, MakeMusic's) prices are the same ie. £=$, which is odd in a way, since they are a US company, so presumably the bias works in the opposite direction :confused: . But , then, I've never been an economist, and don't pretend to understand such things. The only thing I know is that when people complain about such apparent inequalities they often forget to take into account the effects of various import/export costs/duties/taxes etc. ... Not necessarily saying that's the case here though.

22. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

May have been true at one time ...