Sibelius Website

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, May 21, 2007.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Has anybody else had the following from Sibelius, or is this phishing?

"We recently tracked some suspicious activity on the SibeliusMusic
    site, and took the site off-line while we investigated. We have
    no particular reason to believe that your account was
    compromised, but as a precaution, we have re-set all the
    passwords on the system."

2. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

A friend of mine bought Sibelius recently and said there was a problem involving credit cards, I'll try and find out from her (or my friends that work at sibelius)
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you received this by e-mail, it will be a phishing scam. If it contained a link to visit the site, please do not use it. Some scams have recently become very convincing in disguise.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and according to little bit of googling, Sibelius uses Secpay as their gateway for payment which is one of the most secure methods online (unless anyone finds otherwise!)
  5. winterman

winterman Member

As a general rule that is very good advise. On this occasion however this does not appear to be a phishing scam (unless of course Sibelius's database has been hacked). There are no links to click apart from an email link to (which is not being spoofed). It also includes my name, email address and previous password.

It does appear that Sibelius are having a problem with their systems and have done the right thing by keeping people informed and taking the steps they have outlined. Big up to them for the honesty and prompt action.

If you have concerns I would simply keep an eye on your credit card statements and if really concerned contact using the website (or by manually typing the email address into your email client).
  6. davidsait

davidsait Member

Normally, I'd agree, however this one I believe to be genuine. was 'down for maintenance' when I tried to access it the other day.

I tried logging in to my sibeliusmusic account with my usual password (I typed into my browsers address field, rather than clicking on any links in the email) to no success; however, the password provided in the email worked fine (I have since changed the provided password to a different one of my own choosing).
  7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Daniel at Siblelius has confirmed that it IS geniune.
  8. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Thanks for the re-assurance, I have now visited the site and changed my password.

Pity I can only afford to use Scorch and not Sibelius itself.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All's well that ends well! But you have to double check on these issues. Recent phishing activities for a couple of banks have redirected and reset online account URLS to fraudulent sites and it is difficult to spot them as being bogus.

If you have an online Halifax account, see how similar the logon page is ... (this is a good site to keep up to date with the latest scams).
  10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Update from Alison Kerr, Sibelius Managing Director, Global Marketing

I thought I'd do the responsible thing here and contact Sibelius to obtain the official position for you all, so that all Sibelius users on tMP will know exactly what has happened, what Sibelius are doing about this, and what you should also do about this.

I spoke to Alison Kerr, Managing Director of Global Marketing for Sibelius who was extremely helpful and very forthcoming. She stated that there had been a hacking attempt by somone last Thursday 17th May, but that this had been detected very quickly by Sibelius, and that the security hole was resolved quickly. Though not 100% certain that any hacker had managed to access an area containing sensitive customer data, Sibelius wanted to act immediately and contacted all their customers via email and letter suggesting they reset their Sibelius account passwords, and also contact their banks to check for signs of fraudulent activity.

Alsion was keen to point out that Sibelius acted promptly, and responsibly, and has already taken measures to ensure this does not happen again.

Personally... I was very impressed with Alison and the action Sibelius have taken here. They have certainly put their customers first.

The letter and email that all registered users of Sibelius will have received was sent from Georgina Pearson, Sibelius Head of Customer Services. Alison also stated that if there are any Sibelius customers who remain concerned about any issues and want to speak with someone, they can call or email Georgina on:

Direct Line: 020 7561 7925