Sibelius tips and questions

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by mikelyons, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Or maybe just "Sibelius Tips - all versions"

Why use ten words when ... :)

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Or eight. Pedantic, I know....

3. mikelyons

I have only one thing to say to you Mr Wilson...

Sleepless nights! Mwahahahahaha!

;)

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Can't say fairer than that, I suppose. Now, where's that Pro Plus.......

New topic - does anyone know if Sibelius might work on Google OS that's coming out next year? For those that don't know, Google have finalised plans to release a free operating system after the success of their Google Chrome browser.

Although, Google are playing it down, it's really a front end to a Linux distro; so Sibelius won't be supported. However, Google seem very keen to market their OS as a real alternative to Windows, so you never know. Any thoughts anybody?

5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

There is a thread on the Sibelius chat page HERE that discusses the topic of the Google OS (amongst a couple of other irrelevant topics) but it doesn't look too promising for anything Windows or Mac based.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Anybody not getting amended scores uploaded to the Sibelius-music site during the last few days? I been waiting for my latest ditty (this one here) to get posted but nae joy! The mp3 file got accepted without any problem. This has happened before, although the administrators denied any problem.

7. mikelyons

No problems here, though I have read about others having trouble updating scores on the Sib forums.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mmmmm! Still not uploaded! I've re-submitted the score and now the previous version is off limits ... sigh! :dunno

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

At long last ... the Mendelssohn ditty was on view this morning. What's really bugging me about this is that I upgraded to 6.01 recently and believed that uploading would be faster, not slower.

10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Right, not sure if this has been asked before, but oh well, Cadenzas. How can you write them on sibelius 5?? (e.g where there is no barline (or more notes within the bar than is numerically correct) so the 'soloist' can play freely while for example having a timp rolling just on a semibrieve underneath)

Thanks in advance

11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

It has been asked, Jon, and not too long ago, 2 pages or so back ;)

12. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

right, again not sure on this, does anyone know how to turn the score into a pdf file??? i need to do this but don't know how.

Thanks

13. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

You'll need a pdf converter programme. There are many free ones available on the net but results are variable (as I found out earlier this year). If this is something you are going to use a lot you may wish to buy one of the professional programmes - I can recommend PDF Converter Professional by Nuance.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Export the pages as Graphics/TIFF Bitmap files and use Acrobat Pro to combine & convert them into .pdf format. Use the highest resolution available for quality control.

15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If you don't want to spend money, and only need basic functionality, I can recommend CutePDF (free download) from personal experience ...

16. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

I use PDF Creator which is free here.

17. mikelyons

I find pdf995 very good - apart from defaulting to letter size paper half the time, and it's cheap at $9.95 (Yes, that's dollars). It also has a good set of useful tools for merging pdfs and extracting text from pdfs and so on.

18. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I have Acrobat and have had terrible trouble trying to 'print' to PDF from Sibelius. Is this a known bug?

19. mikelyons

But are you talking about the proper commercial version or the reader?

20. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Proper commercial version

Acrobat Professional Extended 9, I think (or something along those lines) using the Adobe PDF printer, which crashes Sibelius.