Sibelius tips and questions

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by mikelyons, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi all,

Has anyone used Sibelius 5 yet and has anyone got an opinion on it yet?

I'm not that impressed, personally. The things they have done as improvements are largely things I don't bother with. Some slight improvements and some bug fixes are OK, but there are still some major hassles that have been there since v3.

I'm a bit disappointed.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The paste as cue facility can be useful though ... as Sibelius can now stop it playing back!
  3. mikelyons

Unticking all the playback boxes always did thet for me anyway, or using silent noteheads.

I'm not sure that's worth the extra dosh on its own.

I defo do not like the new mixer. It doesn't let me balance the sounds the way I want to. I know I'm a control freak, but that's not an excuse for losing all control!
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

As I use cues a lot, it'll probably come in handy. All I need to do is find £163 for the upgrade!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Now, only if Sibelius had an auto tool for better placing of dynamics and expression marks in opened parts from the score. Or even if it intelligently adjusted their placing when changing stave size in a full score setting would be great ... as working in an A4 environment has it's problems unfortunately. :-?
  6. Texus

Texus Member

I'm still struggling along with Sib 4, which i have to say apart from some nifty features is a step backward from 2.
    It is still a great programme though. Worth upgrading to 4?
  7. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I think it's great, arguably his best. The third movement is my favourite...

8. Bass Trumpet

In an ideal world, they would make it Linux compatible, too! Agree on the dynamics point, Brassneck. I'm fed up with having to re-position text/dynamics to make parts look good. A piece I've just submitted to a publisher had so many tempo changes, each part took over an hour to edit. No fun after you've just spent weeks on the score. Still much better than Finale, though!
  9. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Each to his own, I prefer Finale, but I suppose it is down to which one you became familiar with first. I have had the E Mail from Sibelius and later the mail shot in the post. A bit disappointed the trial version didn't come with it as it did with 4. So I haven't yet seen 5. I am still using 3 when I find something is easier to do in it than in Finale. The trouble is though that as a beginner, I am still struggling to come to terms with writing scores any way, I have the ideas, just somehow they get lost when trying to write them down.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Easily downloadable from their website Cornet Nev.!...
  11. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Yes I know, but as with Sibelius 4, I was hoping for a hard copy CD through the post.
  12. jmh3412

jmh3412 Member

VST support

:confused: Although fed up with constantly upgrading Sibelius - I might be interested in the new version because of the enhanced VST support. But........... for those of us interested in Brass msuic - the problem is finding realistic samples for our scores.

I see that Sibelius are offering the Garritan Concert and Marching Band VST which may be worth a look at - otherwise any other suggestions for reasonable VST sound sets for Brass??
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I can't see how you work that out? Since Fin2004 (I think) the auto-placement options for text expressions (note-attached for dynamics, measure-attached for tempo markings etc.) mean that I almost never have to re-position such elements in extracted/linked parts.

I'm well-used to seeing ill-informed criticism of Finale from die-hard Sib users on this forum, and I've long since given up wasting my time trying to correct any of it, however in this instance I genuinely can't see how you arrive at your conclusion ... ?
  14. Bass Trumpet

Just like football teams. I support Charlton Athletic and will do till I die. If somebody tells me West Ham is better, I'm I supposed to support them instead? I've used Sibelius since the Acorn days and can't really see any reason to go over to software which I've tried but didn't like and could get on with. Ok, I knew it was a bad idea to say Sibelius is better, cos there is always somebody who disagrees, but you know what? I still support Charlton athletic;)

The term 'ill-informed' is used so often on this forum and I've used it myself. It really winds people up!

I've had a long day and there's a large gin-and-tonic waiting for me in the other room, I'm quite happy that you use Finale and hope it does what you want it to do mate.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Doesn't help your case, BT!

I'm not going to bother with the upgrade until it becomes clear that every score (that isn't mine) I see electronically IS in Sib5, and it becomes a pain not having it.
  16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Duncan, I think you may have misunderstood; I didn't intend to imply that you were ill-informed, rather that your post seemed to suggest that you had some knowledge and experience of working in both Finale and Sibelius - uncommon where this forum is concerned (I freely admit that I have no experience whatsoever of working with Sibelius, so I can't comment on any aspect of its operation). I was simply curious as to what problems specifically you had encountered with expressions in Fin?
  17. Bass Trumpet

I know I'm right:biggrin:

I think the thing stopping me from buying Sib5 is that fact that I haven't paid my tax bill yet. Still owe Gordon Brown rather a lot of money!

Sorry Gareth, I was being rather obtuse last night. It had been a long day. The Gin was very nice though! I personally found the general operation of Finale difficult to get to grips with. I'm not sure, but I feel that it may be a better programme for using with midi input, as I found mouse input very slow. I tend to input using mouse/numeric keypad and find that Sib is good for that.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed, Finale offers a number of different methods for basic note entry, and even within the Finale users forum there are sharply divided opinions on which is the most efficient. Personally I think it depends very much on what kind of music is being entered. For simple brass band scores I tend to use a mixture of QWERTY + number pad entry. Sometimes, if the note sequences are pretty step-wise in nature I use arrow keys to control cursor/pitch position. If there is a lot of divisi, or if the lines are very angular I will use "Step-time" MIDI + number pad. When writing for keyboard, MIDI + number pad is very fast. I almost never use mouse (simple) entry, however some users swear by it. Horses for courses and all that.
  19. Mr Smiler

Mr Smiler Member

Sibelius 5

It seems to me rather a lot of money to pay for what I think are not particularly great enhancements. They seem to have invested rather a lot into the sound system, but until they start to provide realistic brass samples I won't be looking to upgrade. Some of the orchestral sounds are okay, but I'm not that excited about the brass sounds. Some of the sounds in the free Kontakt player you get with Sibelius 4 are a bit tinny as well and very restrictive in the selection, particularly of brass instruments (and it really annoys me that there is no tuba to give depth to a brass score).

A while ago they used to provide an upgrade disc for free with extra plug-ins and stuff on. Almost like a stepping stone to the next version. They could have done that again - or maybe I'm just miserly! Bah humbug!
  20. mikelyons

I worry that they are trying to make Sibelius a Jack of all trades, with the consequent loss of mastery of notation. I'm not too bothered about sounds because a) I do most of my work on a laptop with limited memory (1G) and the sound sets take up too much of that and b) I bought an expensive sound source with good quality sounds of its own.

I'm not interested in look and feel over functionality either. I preferred the old mixer because I had more control over channels and other attributes.

I also don't really like the panorama thing. That seems like a backwards step to me. When you work on paper you are tied to systems and page sizes. The argument for it is a nonsense!

I've already sent off my money. I'll have to see if its worth it, but it might be the last time.