Sibelius - Technical Questions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

As there are threads regarding copyright and other such things, I thought a thread on the technical side Sibelius software. People can ask questions or post hints and tricks they know about using the software.

My own personal queries are:

a) how do you create two seperate time signatures in one piece, eg. solo cornets are in 12/8 time while the rest of the band are in 4/4 time?

b) How do you make a Sfz or pf sound as though there is a gradual build up through the note, eg on a final pause?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :tup

Andy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius - Technical
    threads
    questions
    software
    side
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sibelius has it's own forum specifically for this purpose.

As does MakeMusic (Finale).

Surely you would be better off posting there?

The only reason for running such a thread on tMP would be to benefit un-registered Sibelius users, and I can't see the mods condoning that ... ?

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You do this using the time signatures text style, first put your music in, using triplets (no number or brackets) in 4/4 for the 12/8 and 4/4 of the ordinary 4/4 bars. Then delete the 4/4 time sig saying no when asked if you want to re-write. Then put 12/8 in using the time signature one staff only (from the create menu) and similarly for the 4/4.

I've never been able (or bothered) to do this satisfactorily. The only real way to achieve it is through MIDI messages. Sibelius is good, but even v4 doesn't always handle dynamics properly. Someone else may know a better way.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

BTW, FWIW, recent versions of Finale (running the new "Human Playback" plug-in) will handle a 'fp-cresc.' automatically.

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

So will Sibelius 3

7. mikelyons

If you want a cresc or dim on a long note, Sibelius has a plug-in to insert MIDI messages to do this. It inserts hidden CC7 messages to simulate the effect.

It is mentioned in the manual if you would care to look.

If, like me, you often get them a bit wrong, or you just don't like the result, you can get rid of all the messages in one go by selecting one and using [ctrl][shift]a to select all the others, then press delete.

If you are an inveterate mouse user, it is really worth breaking your rodent habits and using key presses in Sibelius. Even v4 has a comprehensive list of [ctrl],[shift] and [alt] combinations to do alsmost anything. Much better than trying to forge your way through millions of menus.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Im not very fluent in the use of Sibelius, but all of my trombones in the brass band score are in bass clef for some reason :-? can anyone advise? Cheers

9. mikelyons

I have a vague memory of that happening to me when I had sib 3. I wrote on the chat line/help forum and someone who had a correct manuscript paper sent me one.

You could do it yourself by deleting the bass clef ones and inserting treble clef ones from instruments and staves. Save the file and then save it again as Manuscript paper. That way you'll always have it to hand. You can also set it up with your very own 'house style', so that all your little details are already there.