Sibelius Question...

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by BrianT, Sep 14, 2007.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

I have a Sib4 score containing 40 staves, about 150 bars long. The score is in 4/2 time and to make it easier to read I want to halve the note lengths, rescoring in 4/4 time. "Easy", I thought, "Just run the 'Halve note lengths' plugin."

Well I've tried, but the plugin consumes 100% of CPU activity and after about 20 minutes it had finished barely 10% of the conversion. I ran out of patience and hit [Quit] and the new score created by the plugin had reordered all the staves in the score. Not what I wanted at all. (The plugin did warn that it would do this, but I'd prefer if it didn't).

Is there a less painful and quicker way to halve the note lengths? Doesn't have to be a Sibelius solution - I just need the job done. If I had more time I might try debugging the plugin (written in ManuScript) and see why it's being such a processor hog. (Keep meaning to learn ManuScript) Or do I just have to leave Sibelius running overnight and hope for the best?
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I don't use the plugins, I find them cumbersome.
    I tend to do it all manually, takes ages yes, but at least you know that you are getting the result you want.
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

1) Export the file in MusicXML format
    2) Find a friendly Finale user (;) ) who can import the XML file, make the conversion for you (Doesn't need a Plug-in, takes about six seconds, and doesn't re-order your staves).
    3) Then find out if Sib really can accurately convert Fin files as is claimed ...
  4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

So it would take around three hours, I'm sure you could put it on one day before band and it should be done by the time you get back? :)
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's worth noting that the plug ins to double/halve note lengths don't always look kindly on tuplets, or dotted rhythms - even when they work...

Whenever I've had something like this to do, I've printed it and done it myself - Although I've never used Finale which sounds like a much better option - assuming it works!
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

To satisfy my own curiosity I just ran a test in Finale

I created a random passage about six bars long in 4/2 time - included various complex patterns (triplets/dotted rhythms/dotted within triplets etc.) then ran the change note durations utility (set to 50%), followed by change time sig. to 4/4 and rebar.

Seemed to cope no problem ...
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

That seems a bit drastic. How quick is your PC? Mine's not that quick (512RAM, Pentium 4) and nothing in Sibelius has ever take more than a couple of seconds.

By the way, before you listen to GJG, remember that he views Sibelius in the same way Shane McGowan views a bath and a cup of tea ;)

Only joshing, Gareth. We all know you practice the dark arts of Finale. You've probably got a Mac, too....:D
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not guilty. Although with the compatibility problems that some people are reporting between Finale and Vista, it might not be a bad idea ...
  9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Maybe I should convert when I upgrade....
  10. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

I use Finale alot more than i do sib, i find it does more things to suit what i need.
  11. BrianT

BrianT Member

In the end I ran the plug-in in several passes, doing groups of eight or so staves at a time, and the plug-in ran in seconds and the result was fine. Phew. There's no problem with Sibelius or the plug-in.

I think I can explain the problem I was seeing - the score I'd started with was 40 or so staves, each assigned to a SBLive! (GM) sound. But the score created by the plug-in was using 40 Kontakt voices. I think my machine may have got indigestion trying to set up so many Kontakt voices simultaneously.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions.