Sibelius playback problems...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, May 7, 2007.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Fellow Sibelius Qualified Composers, can I enlist your help, please?

Sibelius 4.1.5 is steadfastly refusing to play anything back. All other sound functions are working - including the sibelius splash screen.

Any ideas short of a reboot (which is my only other idea.)

Ta.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    playback problems
    Composers
    Sibelius 4.1.5
    anything
  3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

I havent used anything more uptodate than Sib 3 (and that not for a year or so)... but it probably functions in the same way...

If i remember right, theres an options pannel thats something to do with what output channel you want to use (so you can select speakers or routing it through an electric keyboard).

Might be that this is set to the wrong channel and thats something to do with it?

Is my best guess, hope it helps.

T

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sibelius qualified? (maybe I'm not of the stature to comment) ... check your MIDI mapping in Play/Substitute Devices. It might be an older opus using different MIDI synths.

5. Will the Sec

It's everything Sibelius, BN, including Scorch files on SibMusic. The newest files were working earlier in the week when I was finalising a score, but not now.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- then the problem must be located with your soundcard/mixer settings. If it is a Creative card, check if the MIDI synth is not muted on the mixer.

7. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Or alternatively, if you sometimes use another playback source (ie, electric keyboard or other), its possible that youve got it set to playback through the wrong device.

I remember that one because ive done it myself (albeit on older versions)

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- a simple test is to play a MIDI file back on your media player. If that works then the source of the problem is in Sibelius. If it doesn't, soundcard/mixer.

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Suggestions:

1. Check the playback device in Sibelius is set correctly amd the use option is set to 'Yes'
    2. Make sure the correct playback device is set in windows - right click on the little sound icon and choose 'adjust audio properties'
    3. even if it appears to be set properly, try unchecking 'only use default devices'
    4. check the mixer in sib to make sure the tracks are not muted.
    5. If it is a soundblaster, check that it isn't muted in its own mixer.
    6. Check that you volume (system) is turned up and your speakers/headphones are working properly.

Mind you, you did say audio was working OK, so it's probably a MIDI problem.
    A further thought if you have an external card (for a laptop, say) the recent heatwave could have ******ed it up. My SB Audigy 2NX went the way of all toast the other week because it overheated!

10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

OR

Go to "Create" at the top of the screen.
    Go down to playback and input devices (3rd from bottom).
    Make sure they all say no except the output you are using.

11. Will the Sec

Sorted. Reinstalled the sound card, and all is hunky dory.

Thanks, all.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    playback problems
    Composers
    Sibelius 4.1.5
    anything