Sibelius Playback Devices HELP!!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by skweeky, Oct 19, 2008.

1. skweeky

skweeky Member

I Have been hugely disappointed with the default sounds that sib5 has supplied :confused:. The brass band playback sounds like a musical train crash! :eek:

Flugel? Euph? :-? Anyway....

To the point...

Can anyone suggest a top quality sound set to replace garritan and GM?? I know I will pay through my teeth :biggrin: but I'm sure its a worthy sacrifice to put an end to this cat-like screeching it produces at the moment!!

Thanks in advance! :clap:

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm afraid that most brass samples are carp. The Garritan ones are OK to me - better than Microsoft WaveTable. You might like to get a decent soundfont card or maybe a GM2 card with its own sounds. Other than that, bribe your own band to play them for you. ;)

Beware, though, the sound may not be any different. :D

3. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

I use Sibelius Sounds Essential sounds and they aren't that bad, I admit the flugal is appalling, but the troms, especially down the basement are great. I also use Garritan Personal orchestra, but tbh the quality is the same, except there are less options ie vibrato, 6 different mutes, staccato, legato etc. I am thinking of getting the marching band Garritan, but I fear the brass will be the same, just with more awful marching shed sounds

Are you sure that the full sound package is installed? The sounds essential part is over 3Gb in size, check in add remove progs in control panel, it is a seperate install in itself from the Sib 5 program, just a thought

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

As Mike said earlier, you are better creating your own samples from what you would class as ideal sounds for each instrument. You have the choice of building the soundfonts from scratch or using basic ones to layer over those existing (which I do). You will probably also find that you have to retune the samples so all match for relative pitch! It will never be ideal, but it is a lot more humane to listen to than what exists at the moment.

5. skweeky

skweeky Member

I have the standard part sets that sib 5 disk came with (a bit of GPO a bit of garritan big band, marching brass, drum thingy.. etc) but its not quite the library of full instruments that you would get if you bought GPO seperately.

I am very intrigued by the "create your own soundfont" idea, however. How do I go about that then??

:)

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ideally, you should record & sample a player's range, from low to high, then create loops and then tune them. Do this for each instrument (or more, depending on the part) and then create your soundfonts in a programme such as Creative Vienna Soundfont Studio (... if you want to be over-indugent, you can create sets with different attacks and volumes). Use these soundfonts instead of the ones supplied.

Alternatively, create soundfonts with just your choice of timbre and use the banks to layer them on the existing set. If you are using this method, remember to map flugel, horns & baritones to french horn and euph to tuba in the original channel allocation.

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Great post!

It's the same with all synthesisers - and brass sounds... they are not accurate at all. This is due to brass sounds being notoriously difficult to synthesize as they are one of the only groups of sounds created entirely by the human form. I have yet to hear an accurate synth sound of a brass instrument.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's time-consuming though. I want to update my soundfont set but I would have to get really enthusiastic first about doing it! My soundset is not perfect but adequate to do the job. I have inserted mp3 files with most of my scores on Sibelius-music.com so anyone who is curious can listen to what I actually hear myself. Click on any of the links below to listen to a few samples ... :oops:

Sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

Sample 4

9. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

I can see why you earned those Awards Brassneck! lol

You can do the whole soundfont thing, or find them on the net, just search for .sf2 files, I have used a few in my time, only problem is that if you then send someone a piece and they don't have that particular soundfont, they will hear completely different sounds than the ones you hear, ie piano instead of soprano cornet, so it is a good way for you to hear your music, not so good for sharing. You can always export to audio and then convert to .mp3 tho.

Personally I find that the sounds essential library is enough for what I want most of the time, I have Garritan personal orchestra too and am thinking of getting the marching and big band sets, it's all a matter of time and ability versus wallet and wife, I'll take my chances against the wife I think! ;)

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Devices
    Sibelius Playback
    sound
    train crash
    anyone