Sibelius percussion help

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, May 7, 2006.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I don't think this post is going to make much sense...but please forgive me, I'm not a percussionist! Thing is, I have about 2 hours to finish my music coursework and I'm trying to find something on sibelius (4) that would sound something like a bodhran (irish drum) but I don't even know where to begin looking. Could anyone suggest something? It doesn't have to be a bodhran, it could be, for example, whatever those things :)rolleyes: ) are in Tossing the Feathers in Gaelforce?
    Help pleeease!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    irish
    things
    bodhran
    irish drum
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well there wont be bodhran sounds obviously..... just use a floor tom or something.

4. toddtoddtodd_

toddtoddtodd_ New Member

Working with "old fashioned" Sibelius 3 I found something called a Taiko Drum. Clicking the part and pressing A on my keyboard produced a bodhran-esque sound. Also, if I were you, for the recording use this sound, but when you print put it so the notehead has the line going through it, as this sort of drum would usually have one pitch and be written this way.

Hope this was helpful

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Of course ^ only works if you use a keyboard for the midi sounds, as opposed to your computers soundcard...

6. toddtoddtodd_

toddtoddtodd_ New Member

ah ok. well do floor tom then. on drumkit floor tom is in the same place as the A above middle C (treble clef)

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

So constructive as usual! jeez...

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I think the post referred to using a MIDI keyboard rather than a QWERTY one! ;)

9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Thanks for the help :biggrin: I don't actually have a keyboard at home, so I'll try them both before deciding whether to record it at home (sib 4 with no keyboard) or school (sib 3 with keyboard). Probably at home as the school keyboard brass sounds are really naff and plays euph and baritone an octave too low, refuses to play drum rolls...just too much hassle!

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- this might help ... http://www.midi.org/about-midi/gm/gm1sound.shtml#percussion

11. toddtoddtodd_

toddtoddtodd_ New Member

just to clarify, i meant a QWERTY keyboard. But whhhhatever, not my composition:p

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    irish
    things
    bodhran
    irish drum
  13. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

clarified :oops: thank you.

14. soprano210

soprano210 New Member

Try windows tab / mixer. Select the percussion channel( you will have to use the slide bar to find it). On the display it will tell you which sound card or Midi synth your using. Below it, it will tell you which midi voice is activated for that channel. to the right should be an access to a scroll down bar. Click it and there should be a choice of Midi voices. Check the Percussion tabs and I'm sure you'll find something suitable.