Sibelius Issue

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by choirmaster, Mar 13, 2013.

1. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

I'm currently getting towards the end of writing a musical which is being staged at the end of next month and have a glitch which is making it really time consuming all of a sudden. Whenever I'm inputting notes from a keyboard the notes are coming up on both sides of the note stem or putting notes in that I haven't played at all. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am doing this as a freebie but out of interest what do you think the fee would be for 12 songs orchestrated for a 6 piece band including an overture? I'm curious. I'd be grateful for any help at all. Thanks
  2. Trum

Trum Member

I've not had this bug or heard of such however, I'd probably try a re-install - as it definitely seems to be a glitch rather than a wrong setting.

Cost wise - I'm not a composer but it strikes me that around £200-300 would strike me as on the inexpensive side of things..
  3. JonBond

JonBond Member

Before you re-install, I suggest you check what note head style you have selected. As in not sat infront of my computer at the moment I can't tell you exactly where, but I'm sure you can sselect different note heads (ie as you would for a percussion part), and one may be the double notehead you describe above.
  4. BrianT

BrianT Member

Multiple Noteheads

The appearance of multiple noteheads suggests that Sibelius is getting several note-on midi messages for each keypress on your black-and-white keyboard.
    Check your keyboard and computer midi settings to make sure that when you press a key the message doesn't go into Sibelius and then back out again to the keyboard which then sends it back to Sibelius again (midi-thru settings) Or this could be as simple as unplugging a cable, makign sure that the only midi connection is between keyboard midi out and computer midi in.
    Alternatively, I've seen multiple note-ons using a very old and much played piano keyboard where the switch mechanism under some of the keys was worn out.
  5. DRW

DRW New Member

I was going to suggest similar.

In terms of the cost of a commission of this type, I would work initially it out in terms of time spent multiplied by an acceptable hourly / daily rate. The previously suggested £200-300 sounds about right for a day's effort which sounds ambitious for 12 songs.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the General Arranging and Copying rates, agreed between the Musicians Union and the British Music Writers Council, are based not on hourly rates, but on number of bars and number of staves/parts. Individual part production is based on a per page rate, with strictly defined parameters for number of staves per page etc.

I would agree that £200-300 for this amount of work would seem very low, however it's worth bearing in mind that fees calculated on the MU/BMWC rates are ludicrously high, and are almost always negotiated downwards, except where both the arranger and contractor are tied into Union Agreements.
  7. DRW

DRW New Member

There's logic in that in that, particularly as I expect that less inexperienced writers would typically take longer than those more seasoned.

It would be interesting to know what the agreed rates are. Are they freely available?
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not as far as I am aware, at least not to non-MU members or those who are not a member of the BMWC (in fact, a quick web search would appear to suggest that the British Music Writers Council no longer exists as such). I used to have a copy of the rates (obtained from a colleague who shall remain nameless on the grounds that he probably should not have given them out ... :oops: ), however they were dated 2004, and so would be out-of-date, even if I could find them ...
  9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

What's the logic in officially keeping them secret?
  10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

No idea; ask the MU ...