Sibelius help (Re: brass bands)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Sorry if this is on the wrong part of TMP.

Can anyone tell me how to mute and unmute cornets on Sibelius playback please?

I am using Version 3 with Kontakt Player (Silver).

I use the "Technique -> Muted" approach but on playback it still plays the familiar blarting trumpet sound!

Any help would be marvellous.

Thanks!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    Version 3
    TMP
    Kontakt Player
    Silver
  3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Have a look at the playback dictionary and see how 'mute' is defined.

You would probably be better off posting this on the Sibelius chat page:-

www.Sibelius.com/helpcentre

and click on chat page at the top

4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Matt,

instead of selecting mute you need to use "con sord." to start the muted section and "senza sord." to return to open playing!

Hope it works for you.

5. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try once I get back to my flat.

Always a fine line on Sibelius between hearing it in my head and making it sound good for previews for my website etc.

6. Anglo Music Press

Not true! 'muted' and 'open' work just as well if they are defined properly!

7. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

How would one define them?

I don't have my Serial Number handy so can't log in to Sibelius chat :(

8. Anglo Music Press

Effect should be 'named sound'

and

Value should be 'mute'

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You could also write in a patch change before the muted section is needed ... e.g. ~P 59 (for muted trumpet) and change it back to ~P 56 (open trumpet).

10. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

You wouldn't be using a crack copy?

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Matt, I discovered the same problem. The reason is, I guess, that Kontakt Player Silver does not recognise muted brass sounds. For that, you'd have to upgrade to Kontakt Gold. (If you look at the demo of Kontakt Gold that comes on the Sib 3 disc, you'll see it states separate sounds for say, 'trumpet' and 'muted trumpet', which isn't the case with Kontakt Silver.)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    Version 3
    TMP
    Kontakt Player
    Silver
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I don't rate the Kontakt player I'm afraid to say. I stick to the Creative 4MB GMGSMT bundle layering custom fonts (my own) over the patches using available banks.

14. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Thanks.

Money is a bit tight at the moment though (with me being a student) so upgrades aren't really an option.

I guess the only way I'll ever truly get an idea of the sound is by getting a band to play it.

The risk factor is there though. If it sounds rubbish, I feel a bit of an idiot!

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Blimey Matt, We're all idiots at Emley anyway so you've nothing to lose!! Get it brought along for goodness sake!! We have plenty of people there who can make proper constructive coments or critisisms without making you feel stupid...and why should you feel that way anyway? 99% of the people there, me included, wouldn't know where to start with a composition.

Get it brought and stop being so soft.

16. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Love you too Crawf :wink:

I'll get the Elegy finished off then bring it along then. Just need to fill it out so that the 2nd Trombone and 2nd Baritone don't have 56 bars rest in the middle :rolleyes:

17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Good god don't give 2nd Bari 56 bars rest, he'll be asleep by the time he comes in again!! :D

18. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I hope you'll enjoy your muted top B :p