Sibelius enquiry

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Maestro, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

When it comes to adding text on Sibelius, so that the letter names are over the notes ( for school work - not myself I hasten to add ;) ), can anyone tell me why the letters appear set up over the notes on the screen, but when I print out a copy, the letter names are all over the shop? :confused:

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Kev

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    notes
    letter names
    Sibelius enquiry
    school work
  3. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Try typing them in as lyrics...

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Sounds like a formatting thing. You are probably using a text like 'technique' and writing the letter names. Remember that the text you write is attached not to the note it's above but to the first note you attached it to.

Select 'Attachment Lines' in the view menu and you will see what the text is attached to when it's selected. What you may have to do is start a new piece of text for each note, making sure that each one is attached to it's relevant note, then when the score re-formats, they will stay in the right place. PM me if you are still struggling.

By the way, which Sibelius are you usuing, as I remember the old ACORN version doing some very strange things with text.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. Bass Trumpet

Ha! I've just tried to do it on the Worksheet Creator and Sibelius crashed. Anyone for Finale?

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- did you pay the dosh for it? (... looks like you have to pay the $39.95 and wait on delivery ... ;) )

http://www.dvmpublications.com/kidsib_information.htm

8. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

If you are using Technique text, highlight the note first and then click Ctrl/T. The text will then be attached to the right note and shouldn't move when printed.. I hope!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- works! :)

10. Anglo Music Press

But of course!!! :lol:

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- then you can now reveal the eternal secret of double repeated bars percussionists cry out for ... :cool: :tup (... ones that actually play back :rolleyes: )

post-edit:- and that actually re-numbers bars correctly!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius
    notes
    letter names
    Sibelius enquiry
    school work
  13. Bass Trumpet

Easy! Write it out, hide it, then put the symbol over the top. One problem, though - it looks fine in the score, but the part will be all stretched out. The solution is to keep the score correct, then in the part, delete the notes completely so you're just left with the repeat bar symbols.

14. Anglo Music Press

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you :cool:

15. Bass Trumpet

lol :clap:

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Erm... (trembles) ... does Finale have the same problem?

p.s., I've done it the long way (as recommended on the site), but it doesn't look right!

17. Bass Trumpet

Apparently Finale has a shortcut built in to do it. It's easy enough on Sibelius, but I wish they would tell you in the manual. There's so much you have to work out for yourself. Just out of interest is there anybody out there who uses Finale that you know of and what do they think of it?

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Andy Duncan

19. Bass Trumpet

Yes, there definately seems to be two camps who defend their chosen system quite enthusiastically. Our conductor, David Stowell uses Finale for all his composing as does Roger Harvey - interestingly, they are both Mac users!

I'm a Sibelius man simply because I used it on the Acorn when it was really the only usable system. I then bypassed Sibelius 1 for PC but have used 2, 3 and 4.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I knew a couple of the people who roadtested Sibelius for Windows and may have to try and re-locate them again to see when the 32 channel format (or 64 for that matter) is going to be developed. The present system is not really helpful for those who have to work on large orchestral scores which requires more polyphony!

21. Anglo Music Press

Don't quite know what you mean.... Payback limitations? I work with concert band scores of over 40 staves without a hitch. Please explain!

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Sibelius is based only on a 16 channel operating system, and therefore limited to 16 voices or patches used simultaneously. When more voices or parts are added to the score, channels have to be shared and thus begins the drain on the polyphonic resources of the programme. This problem came apparent to me when Brian Free started to reconstruct a trombone concerto which was originally written for Tommy Dorsey. It used a large orchestra and he could not get Sibelius to play back the score without dropout when similar instruments were used independently on the score. The same problem is sometimes found even when scoring for brass band when parts have to be shared. If more channels were to be created (and have been done on other sequencing and editing programmes), problems such as tutti chords (when each part has a different note to play) would disappear!

post-edit:- these links to Sibelius Help should highlight the problem ...

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/show.pl?id=423&languageid=1&searchid=1210880

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/show.pl?id=364&languageid=1&searchid=1210880

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcenter/show.pl?id=386&languageid=1&searchid=1210880