Sibelius 7 now available

Discussion in 'tMP Computer Corner' started by mikelyons, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Has anyone else had a look at Sibelius 7 yet? The demo version is available for free download and gives you 30 days to try it out. So far I'm reasonably impressed with the changes, but still wondering if it's worth the £100 odd to upgrade. The fact that it's a 64bit application is a mark on the plus side, but the rudimentary sound samples are a minus.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanks (as usual) for bringing this to my attention. Since I still have a wind-up 32 bit system, is it still compatible to run on it?

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Heard it at the Halle prom last week ;)

4. mikelyons

I'll ignore Peter's small witticism - though I'm jealous - and say yes, there is a 32-bit version as well and whichever you need is installed.
    It seems very stable and I am slowly getting used to where everything is. The sound library is disappointing and not as good as the one bundled with Sib 6. The interface is quite 'office-like' with ribbons and everything graphical.
    Nice to be able to do pdfs without a special driver.
    The layout options seem better realised than in Sib 6.
    I like the 64-bit access to more RAM as I have a 64bit machine with 8GB so it will make more efficient use of my machine.
    Still trying to decide if it is worth the 110 quid upgrade price or should I join weigh****chers instead? :)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll check it out! Thanks!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It looks quite good, once you get used to the new layout.

7. jonford

jonford Member

As far as i'm aware, i'm sure I read somewhere that the sounds in the demo version of Sib 7 are not the sounds in the full version. This is because there are 38 GB worth of sounds in the full version, too much to download!

I hated the ribbon layout at first but it seems logical and getting used to it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. mikelyons

The first demos done with the new soundset were quite poor, but there are some much better ones up now. However, I'm having concerns about issues that are cropping up with file handling.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I can't find an "undo" facility on this version.

10. mikelyons

[ctrl]z still works fine for me :)

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I usually went to the former "edit" list. Apart from that, it seems to be stable on a 32bit PC. Mixer is better, but then again, no choice for depth of field for individual instruments. This was available on Sib.4.

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's less fussy when exporting files and that's a good thing lol!

My last effort (imported from Sib.6)

13. mikelyons

I struggle with the new mixer because the new faders are too narrow. I much preferred the previous version.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All sussed out! I should read manuals more often, lol!

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hi Guys, I've been putting it off, but with the current lay-offs at Sibelius I thought I'd try and get hold of 7 before Avid totally mess it up. On the website I can get an upgrade for £119, but my licence is on an educational discount (SCEE prefix). Can I get it for less or have Avid thrown the baby out with the bathwater? (before any preaching from ivory towers, yes I do still teach a bit!)

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any luck yet Duncan?

17. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Not really. According to most sources, Avid have stopped the educational discount (also applying to teachers) as their upgrade is 'already competitively priced'. I've had a few comments on my facebook about this and Avid look like they are trying to kill it off. A certain Mr Green will be pleased ;)

The best price for an upgrade is £114.00, which is not bad at all. I had a look at MuseScore and, my word, it's improved! Looking at the screenshots it looks like a serious contender for when Sibelius eventually gets binned by it's owners.

18. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

There are other alterntives to Sibelius. Im a Capella user!

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Duncan, I'm sure you will get something worked out re:Sibelius.

20. GJG

GJG Active Member

Not really; as I alluded to in another thread, if Finale have no real competition, they will have no motivation to continue improving their own product. And despite what others think, I cannot see Musescore being a "real" alternative to Finale - not at a professional engraving level anyway.