Sibelius 5 help please!!

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Masterblaster jnr, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I was installing Sibelius 5 last night and it was going very quickly, surprisingly quickly in fact, but when it had installed and i had registered on the internet, i went in to start a Brass Band score (it's not just Brass bands which are the problem) and it took about 10 minutes to load all the soundfiles.

I went in later, expecting it to have saved all the sounds on to the system but again it came up with the irritating loading time.

I've tried clicking cancel and then it comes up with a message saying that it may cause dropouts (?), but then stops the process, until i put a note in and it carries on doing it.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

Regards
    MBJ

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius 5
    mikelyons
    chord
    eek
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My advice - ditch it and go back to Sib 4. Sib 5 has all kinds of problems and needs a dedicated DAW to get any use out of it.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

:clap:

Agreed.

Most of the new stuff in Sib 5 is just bells and whistles anyway (Meaning pointless add-ons, not extra percussion instruments!) and all they do is use up system resources and make everything run slower.

That is, if you can get it to run at all. I fought with it's incessant crashing, hanging and irritating tea-break-pauses for two weeks before (eventually) getting my money back and digging out the old version.

A fully patched-up Sib 4 is miles better.

5. on_castors

on_castors Member

Must be a pretty slow old machine, really short on RAM, or one wanting serious cleaning up/reinstal!

I have tried it out on my older single core laptop, and even on that it is perfectly usable, although of course much slower to load the sound samples than on a faster machine.

6. mikelyons

It's a 2.8GHz 2G RAM 250G+ HD Vaio, which is perfectly adequate to most of the tasks I ask of it, including audio work - except for Sib 5. My machine is in as tip-top condition as I can make it.

I refuse to buy a new dual core machine just to run Sib 5 with no guarantee - from what I have read on the Sib forums - that it would run in any case.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Weird, I have no problems with Sibelius 5.2 :dunno

8. mikelyons

5.2 is better than 5.1 or 5.0. However, the Kontakt player is still faulty and still has memory leaks & other problems including processor hogging.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Simple solution ... just don't use Kontakt! It will free up loads of memory!

10. mikelyons

Which then prevents you from accessing the higher quality sounds - though my MIDI card is a good one with some very nice sounds on it.

The only way I can use it is without the Kontakt player installed. I sometimes have to convert childrens' work if they forget to save it in sib 4 format when they have sib 5 at home.

Rather an expensive way of doing it, don't you think? Sibelius spent a lot of effort on increasing Sibelius' use as a sequencer. I don't really need a sequencer - Cubase is fine for that.

I don't like the panorama thing at all, that's a retro step in my view (pun intended :)). The old Logic/Notator had panorama view as standard. Why go back to an idea that's 20 years old? What next? Piano rolls? Punched tape?

11. on_castors

on_castors Member

I can run it on a laptop with a lot lower spec than that!

I fact, i can INSTALL it quicker than some people seem to be taking to run it!

On my main PC (also a laptop, so the HD is slower than a decent desktop, but it is 1.8 dual core with 2Gig of ram & 2Gb of Readyboost memory on Vista!) the Kontact loading is over in 20 seconds or so with just about anything I care to load!
    Faster when things are cached in the memory too.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sibelius 5
    mikelyons
    chord
    eek
  13. mikelyons

The first time I installed Sib 5.0, I think it did something to my machine. It has never run quite as well as it did before I did that - particularly my on-board sound and graphics. It may have damaged the registry or the drivers for one or both, but I don't want to reinstall everything from scratch until I have time to do so in the summer holidays.

That's what you get for rushing out a piece of software before it has been properly tested and working. Sibelius have damaged their reputation as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me started agaiin!

14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yet you talk about Cubase (and so Steinberg) as being a good sequencer ;)

15. Thirteen Ball

That's the industry standard these days I'm afraid. I work setting up new software for my local council, and nothing they buy is ever considered a complete product.

The quick availability of internet upgrades is the worst thing for good software design. Much easier to meet your release deadline if you don;t actually finish wtiying it before you sell it!

It seems to me that companies in general (With a few exceptions) tend these days to put out the Beta release as the full version, let the users find all the bugs for them while the company saves money on the testing costs - knowing full well they can hide behind a downloadable patch later.

Should be illegal.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  16. mikelyons

Ah, but when I got Cubase it had already been out at least a year and so most of the bugs had already been patched! :p

17. mikelyons

The Sibelius team never used to do that, though. It was only when Avid bought them out that this happened. I've never known them have to put out so many patches and replacements so quickly. It used to happen all the time with Logic.

18. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

For what little use it sees, I will stick with Sib3. I much prefer Finale. OK, even that is two generations old at 2006. Before we get into the old arguments as to which is best, the first notational proggy I got was Finale's print music, and I reckon that whichever you start with and learn to use, you stick with it. Possibly because the two different programs have differences that can be a big change to get used to. The very rare folk who have learned to use either successfully, will tell you, one is as good as the other in most cases.

19. Jimmy_2121

Jimmy_2121 Member

Are you using Vista? I've heard there are a number of issues with Sib 5 and vista, runs beautifully on XP though!!!!
    Sib 5.2 is a significant improvement on sib 4, the essential sound package includes more and better samples than the kontakt on sib 4.

20. BrianT

BrianT Member

Early adopters...

Er, that's what you get for adopting the latest version the moment it is released. I've found it less hassle to wait a year or two before upgrading, giving them time to fix all the defects.

21. Thirteen Ball

So you're saying it is acceptable for software companies to release defective products?

If you bought a car and the fuel injection system made the engine blow up every 500 miles, so you had to fit an extra part to fix that, which then made the wheels fall off, so you had to take it back for another to fix the wheels, until you realised your windshield wipers didn't work the first time it rained so tou had to take it back... etc etc..... would you then be happy with your car? No, of course not.

Why don't software companies actually have a proper testing regime to make sure all the bugs have been fixed BEFORE they put the software out?

Oh of course, silly me. I already answered that in an earlier post. Software publishers find it far easier and cheaper (and costs always speak loudest to businesses) to just chuck out a half-finished product and let poor consumers who've shelled out their hard earned cash do the testing find the faults for them.

THERE is the reason that if you wait a couple of yeas, the bugs have been fixed. It;s not because the company comes over all philanthropic, or the faults magically fix themselves. It's because poor old end-users have been banging their heads against their PCs every time they find one for all that time, and reporting it as a fault!

The Windows Vista release is a case in point. Shambolic from start to finish. No wonder suppliers, in stead of offering a free Vista "upgrade" to any XP PCs they sell, have been known to offer a free "downgrade" to XP for Vista PCs!!

It's the same argument as we have every time we have to trawl through a test-piece to find all the errata. We then dutifully let the publisher know, so they can take the credit for finding it by putting the errata sheet out. Why can't they just publish it properly in the first place? Just for the record, anything I've sent to either of the publishers I've used has always come back 100% error-free, so it proves it can be done.

Shoddy workmanship is just that, and software companies should not be able to hide behind software patches to download off the web. The goods should be complete, fit for purpose and of merchantable quality at the point of sale - as the law dictates in all other types of retail.

22. on_castors

on_castors Member

Yes, but like much of the law that is there to "protect" us, it has ZERO penalty for non-compliance, leaving the individual who is affected to fight through the Courts for compensation, the only way of getting any come-back. What's more, as the concept of punitive damages doesn't really exist in England, then you are only going to get back what you have actually lost - in this sort of case, it is unlikely to be much, if anything at all, so it isn't going to be worth anyone doing it, and software producers are not exactly hiding away in fear of the consequences!