Show Must Go On arrangements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnmartin, Jul 22, 2010.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I'm looking for a decent arrangement of Queens "The Show Must Go On". I see that Just Music list two arrangements; one by Jan Van Kraeydonck and another by Larry Foster. Does anyone have any experience of either of these two before I go parting with money.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Show Must Go On
    Queens
    Just Music
    Jan Van Kraeydonck
    Larry Foster
  3. JAlexK

JAlexK New Member

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I have played the Van Kraeydonck arrangement, and to be honest it ain't great. It depends what you want it for I guess. As a means to fill five minutes with some vaguely familiar, reasonably contemporary notes then it does the job. If it's due to be part of a respectful Freddy Mercury tribute then maybe you should look elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  5. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Why why why why why?????

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I was thinking along the lines of the latter.

Freddie appeared to me in a dream and told me I must put it in a concert programme. He said "if you play it, they will come".

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Did he follow that up with "once they've heard it, they will leave..."? ;)

Honestly - there are better Queen arrangements available - Philip Harper's 'Don't Stop Me now' and 'Fat Bottomed Girls' for instance.

8. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Fat Bottomed Girls is good

9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

LOL - really, I did.

Know what you mean but if you were planning a Freddie tribute what better number is there to end on. I'm well aware of the many other good Queen arrangements available, especially those from Mr Harper.

Gorgieboy, why don't you put pen to paper for me and get a decent arrangement of "The Show Must Go On". Go on you know you want to. :)

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

seconded ... :biggrin:

11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Already chasing copyright for one.....

Can't possibly do any worse than Van Krydonck's usual standard....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Show Must Go On
    Queens
    Just Music
    Jan Van Kraeydonck
    Larry Foster
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is Jan van Kraeydonck's name a pseudonym for someone else on the Baernart's publishing portfolio?

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'm not sure - though his work is very similar in standard and style to Bernaerts himself, and one Johnny Ocean.

You know the sort. Tune on the cornets and euphonium all the way through, lots of copy-and-paste, basic four part harmony split over the rest of the band, a bass part that can be played on 1st valve and open and a massive repeat to save having to actually write the second verse.... :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm being pithy and unkind - but anyone who can make me realise how much banding misses Edrich Siebert clearly needs to buck their ideas up.

15. marc71178

marc71178 Member

What about the obligatory key change up a tone?

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I haven't seen any publications by him outside Bernaerts. I was just curious.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I still think Paul Drury should give it a shot ... :rolleyes:

18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

What about yourself Tom.

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I could (& would), only if copyright permission was allowed. I would also have to familiarise myself with the number again. My resources are stretched at the moment as there is a fault with my BT broadband connection and will not get fixed until Tuesday morning (I'm accessing tMP from work at the moment).

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sigh!(a rare moment to get connected). I managed to listen to a couple of MIDI files, the original and a danced up version. It sounds a little dated and for brass band, a little bit congested but ... that can be overcome. Melody seems to settle on horn(s). I suppose the trick with this one is to avoid blandness and some particular parts being over repetitive. I'll check out the studio and live versions by Queen when my connection is fully restored. Does anything interesting happen in the existing arrangements? Who plays the guitar solo?

Hey John ... you must have mellowed out quite a bit ... it's a long way from your days of listening to death metal!