Shoulder surgery

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MartinT, Jun 21, 2007.

1. MartinT

MartinT Member

A friend who plays tenor horn is having surgery on her right shoulder, and therefore won't be playing for a period of time.
    What she's concerned about is exactly how long she can expect to be off playing for. Has anyone had experience of this sort of situation, and can provide any guidance?
    For the record, she currently (prior to surgery) can't lift her right arm above her shoulder, and is having some bits of bone shaved off, and a couple of ligaments cut. Sounds 'orrible, but that's what she tells me :eek:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    surgery
    sort
    situation
    bits
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Ouch! Is this arthritis in the AC joint? Sounds similar to what they wanted to do to me (also had similar problems with right shoulder). Fortunately (touch wood) a cortisone injection has staved off the worst of my problems.

I was told though that if that went ahead, I would have a sling for approx 6 - 8 weeks, but no driving for about 12 weeks.

Reckon she can play with a sling on? ;)

Hope the op goes well and she's soon feeling better.

4. sop 1

sop 1 Member

i had that op about seven years ago due to around 5 dislocations of my shoulder! for the first couple of weeks i didnt practise cos it was too painfull (any movement was!) but after that was doing loads of long notes on open and lip flexabilities! hope that is some help and hope the op goes well!

5. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I hadn a different op in March on my elbow that basically involved shaving bits of bone and cutting the ligaments and am still not able to play regularly or for very long. i was told to expect it to be a 6 month process before I could resume playing effecitvely.

6. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Not quite the same but I was unable to do much with my shoulder when everything went into spasm following a slipped disc, and I was back playing at pretty much full whack after 6 weeks. Plenty of painkillers, heat packs and ice packs will help!

Rach x

7. MartinT

MartinT Member

Thanks for all the replies, which have been noted (and I suspect the most optimistic ones given the most attention :))

The lady concerned has now had her op and is busy recovering - hopes to act as 2nd triangle/3rd tambourine while waiting for everything to start working properly again. I know she appreciates the advice given.