Should YBS be given a bye?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Keppler, Jan 17, 2005.

?

Should YBS be given a bye for the 2006 EBBA EBBC?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    70.4%
  1. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

With regard to the interesting announcement on YBS website, should they be given a bye?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    contest
    home nations
    precident
    reason
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Why?
    Should all bands who pull out contests be given a bye then?

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As I've just posted on the other thread, whilst it is a shame for them to miss the contest this year, it would set a dangerous precedent, and could cause considerable resentment from other bands who've had to withdraw in the past.

All they'll need to do is win the Nationals & then they'll be alright ;)

5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Amen to that.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

No they shouldn't as it will set a dangerous precedent. Next thing we know it'll be like the UEFA "Champions" League where you don't really need to be a Champion to gain entry.

7. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

They should definately NOT be given a bye, however I will not be holding my breath.

There are always different rules for top bands ie Grimethorpe missing the British Open in 2003.

Miss contests expect to miss out.

;) ;)

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

YBS got to and won the European on merit and should continue to do so in the future. Being successful in that or any other contest should not allow a band to rewrite the rules only to suit themselves. They will be sadly missed this year though.

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

YBS should not be given a bye, even if they have lost their sponsorship deal. How many bands go on tours, or play concerts or contests away from home, without the aid of sponsorship? Quite a few I would imagine. Next they'll be asking for a bye in the Nationals because they can't afford the coach to London and the hotel costs.

The real issue is the fact that sponsorship becomes a crutch and without it the big bands become average joes and go out of business (for want of a better word). Prime example The Stanshawe Band, otherwise known as Sun Life, who lost their sponsorship and folded in 1999.

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yup I think they should in this case, seeing as they've won the contest every year since 1999 I think they've earned the right to get at least a year out. Plus I think it would have a number of benefits:

1. It gives YBS the oppurtunity to do something different
    2. It means there will be a different European champion (hopefully from europe)
    3. It means that the certain charm of YBS competing at the Europeans wont be lost, as both seem to go hand in hand

11. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

The European Championships is NOT an invitational event as far as the public view it. In order to qualify you must become your Nations champion band or win the European outright the year previous, that is the way it should remain, no exceptions. No band should be considered for special privileges regardless of their record in the contest, what would happen in this situation? Would the field be stretched by one? Or would a fledgling country be knocked off? Either way would be harsh on any band who bust a gut to get to the event proper.

YBS have every chance of qualifying for the Europeans in 2006, they are an immense band, but they must do it in the same way as every other top band in Europe, not by invitation due to their tradition with the contest.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    YBS
    contest
    home nations
    precident
    reason
  13. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I'd agree in principle.

The costs to go to these competitions must be huge, and personally I dont see the problem in this case as YBS have won it the past 6 years. Just my opinion tho ;)

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

No they should not be given a bye.

All because they have won it since 1996.
    That does not mean a thing.

15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

My point exactly, in my opinion they've EARNED the right to take a year out...doesn't matter anyway as YBS is going to win the nationals this year!

16. The Rag

The Rag New Member

I think this news is a disaster for The Europeans. The organisers will gladly allow YBS back in 2006 as they have become a major pull in the contest in recent years.
    So will EBBA invite another band in their place. Going off the National results, it should be Reg Vardy.

On a slightly different note, now Nick Walkley has announced he is leaving Faireys, what price on him finishing up at YBS on sop?

17. dyl

dyl Active Member

If another band does get invited as a replacement, surely it should be based on last year's European Champs result - as YBS were only invited to this year's event as reigning champions - and not as National Champions of their country.

18. The Rag

The Rag New Member

Fair point, but can't help wondering if EBBA would like another 'English' representative. The other thing of course is that should another now take YBS' place, they won't have as much time as they'd like to prepare, raise cash etc and again this has to be another consideration, you're talking around 14 weeks thats all

19. dyl

dyl Active Member

True. Which leaves me thinking that perhaps the best solution is not to invite a replacement. The competition may well be poorer due to not having the reigning champions compete - why make it even poorer by inviting a lower placed band from last year's contest?

Also can't help but feel that perhaps the title of being this year's Champions - whoever they will be - will not be as prestigious as they did not get to beat YBS at what has over the past 6 years been YBS' contest. Was there a feeling beginning to emerge that beating YBS at the Euros was the holy grail of banding in Europe? It was going to be a hell of a result for the band that finally got to break the run of YBS.

20. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The interesting thing for EBBA is going to be what would happen if they do not give the bye. Although YBS is indicating that they support EBBA, there will soon be a competing European championship. I forsee a bidding war developing between the contest sponsors, giving concessions to bands just for showing up (this happens in the sports world all the time - in tennis and golf, for example, where the appearance fee is a standard part of the game).

21. The Rag

The Rag New Member

The organisers will now have to reorganise The Gala Concert as well (not that they will be short of volunteers) but the YBS withdrawl is a sad day for banding in my opinion. The sponsorship/tour to Australia are obvious key factors in the decision taken, but to not have the European Champions present and for Dyke/BAYV (or whoever wins) to have that opportunity to take the title of them certainly takes the edge of it

22. nodnod

nodnod New Member

Hello,

I think it's time to look at this in the real light of day.

YBS have pulled out of the event for one reason, and one reason only.

They are skint. Why else not go....

Now, you can call me a cynic if you want, but now Pete Roberts has left the band (And with others rumoured to be abandoning the sinking ship), is it just possible that Dr. King and his band have made the decision out of fear? Fear of losing what has been one of the most amaing winning streaks in brass band history? Contest results haven't been great over the last 6 months or so.....

I can't blame them. I always believe that you should bow out on top rather than hold onto something you once had. However, to dress it up in this 'we're going to give someone else a chance' type way is just stupid. Do they think that the banding public are thick?

As to the poll on this thread - the answer is a simple no.

I know there has been previous instances of this happening in other contests, but that doesn't make it right (2 wrongs don't make a right, etc. etc.). If Faireys decided not to goto the Albert Hall last year, after winning 2 on the trot, should they have just been given a place for this year. No.

If YBS choose not to defend their (rightfully earned) crown, that is their choice. But with great choices comes great ramifications. Like having to qualify, just for one example.

If they do get given a bye for 2006, then we must all question our movemnts creadability.

As for them not been in Holland - don't be supprised to see them at the Gala concert.

Nod.