Should we sell him? yes or no?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by super_sop, May 16, 2004.

?

should we sell off our prize asset to rebuild our squad?

1. yes

98.7%
  2. no

1.3%
  1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Well as much as this hurts im going to say it anyway.

As a few of you will know im an Everton fan. After a very poor season, is it time for us to sell our prize asset the amazing mr Rooney?
    what would you have your manager do at your club.
    its clear that we need to rebuild our squad and the money that we would get for Rooney would do that.
    But should we sell him?

over to you for much debatement.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rooney
    im
    few
    season
    fan
  3. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I dont think you would get a fantastic amount of money for him. So id have voted no

4. super_sop

well if the papers are anything to go by, and he has a good euro 2004.
    we could be looking at upward of £25mill

5. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Dont think he sees eye to eye with Moyes so maybe better to sell.You have McFadyen there and we all know Everton were always a great side when you had a Scottish striker.Andy Gray and Graeme Sharpe to name a few.

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We sold our prized asset (Jon Stead) to Blackburn and although I didn't think the time was right for him at the time I did think that it was a good deal for the club...one player doesn't make a club, team spirit does.
    However he's gone and shown that he's more than capable of sustaining life in the top flight (so far any way!) and I don't think our performances suffered too much as a consequence.

I think Rooney is from a mould of person who puts too much self importance on his own ability (I may be wrong there and will stand corrected if proven wrong) but people like that are only bad for a team and ultimately will bring morale and peoples enthusiasm down.
    Sell while you can, get team players in.
    Having said that I've never liked him or thought much of his ability, I think his playing skills have been blown out of all proportion by an over zealous press deperate for another iconic Gazza figure.

7. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I think he's a lot like Gazza but not from a playing point of view!!! Another one without the brain to handle the status. :shock: :wink:

8. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

As another Everton fan - I say no, we can't sell him.

If I thought Moyes would get the money to spend on the squad then I would say it may be worth considering - but the board would give him 10 million max.

The only thing that makes Everton newsworthy at the moment is Rooney (very sad to say) and if he has a good Euro champs then all the better for us.

I can't see it get much better next season, but we need to hang on in to the following summer to get rid of some the high wage earners (mostly injured or suspended) and see where we go from there. Lets hope we don't get relegated in the mean time.

I'm depressed now :(

Elspeth

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Houllier would probably play him at left-back! :shock: As for the answer to the poll - I'm voting 'don't care'! ;)

10. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

I think Man. Utd. made a BIG mistake in selling David Beckham. Just look at what has happened to their season(OK having Rio Ferdinand suspended hasn't helped much either!) So I would vote no. They should try and build a team around him.

11. super_sop

its ok saying build a team around him, but with what. we is skint!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rooney
    im
    few
    season
    fan
  13. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Well if you could get £25mill for him sell him because that is certainly more then what he is worth to any squad.

14. super_sop

Tiz a shame your depressed, but if things carrie on the way they are we wont have money to spend in the summer, and we need to buy, beg or borrow some decent players who want to pull on that famous blue shirt.
    i havent been this year but from what ive seen on the box read in the papers etc these last half dozen games they havent wanted to play!
    i am seriously worried about next season as things are at the moment

15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

As a (sort of) adopted Everton fan (I'm married to Aardvark) I really do feel for Everton.

In David Moyes Everton have one of the best managers in the Premiership but, unfortunately, one of the worst board of directors I've ever come across. Plus you seem to have a number of players who think it's OK to trog around the pitch every game and collect their (not unsubstantial) pay packet at the end of the month.

Wayne Rooney is an Evertonian through and through. If the board get their act together and let Moyes build a team of footballers who want to play football then there will be no need to sell Rooney.

Rooney is gonna star at Euro 2004 and the Everton board are going to have to do something drastic and let Moyes build a team of footballers.

16. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

There is no way ANYBODY would pay £25m for Wayne Rooney.
    He is unproven, won nothing, rarely scores, doesn't pass, can't head the ball and is hot headed.
    He needs some lessons at the school of life and skills before anyone would even contemplate BUYING him let alone for £25m.

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

He is no Messiah, good footballer but if you can get more than £15m for him then build a team instead.

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

yeah, get what money you can for him, there'll be someone daft enough to shell out.

19. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

From BBC Sport

HERE'S your answer

20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Looks like, for the most part, it was a good move !