Should we run the contest???

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by DaveR, Dec 15, 2005.

Would your band be interested in entering the contest?

1. Yes, in the Championship Section

5 vote(s)
  2. Yes, in the First Section

2 vote(s)
  3. Yes, in the Second Section

3 vote(s)
  4. Yes, in the Third Section

0 vote(s)
  5. Yes, in the Fourth Section

0 vote(s)
  6. Yes, in the Youth / Unregistered Section

0 vote(s)
  7. No, we would not be interested in this.

5 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hello folks.

A few months ago it was suggested in another thread that I should post a poll to see whether or not bands would be interested in entering an own-choice test-piece contest, to be held in Oxford in February or early March (before the areas). We've had to cancel it for the last couple of years, but if there is sufficient interest we would like to revive it.

If you think your band might be interested in entering, please could you vote for the section that they would enter? It might be that it is worth running a limited contest with just a couple of sections......

If you are able to give any opinions about what you expect from a good contest (apart from a bar, which goes without saying ;) ), or if you don't think that your band would be interested, then please let me know why! It would be open to any band, not just those in the Oxford area. In the past we have had bands enter from as far away as South Wales, Derbyshire and Belgium.

Thanks for your help!

Contest Secretary, Oxford & District Brass Band Association
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sorry, but I think this poll is doomed to fail for one simple reason ... it won't stop players from the same band(s) creating unwanted multiple votes.
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, I know. I can't think of a way around that though! However, it is only to give us a ballpark idea of how many bands might be interested.

Hopefully, if everybody who votes also puts a post on the thread suggesting what they want from the contest / why they won't want to enter then that would help as most people have their band in their sig or profile!

4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Any details about potential prize money? That would be a deciding factor for some bands I'd have thought, especially with the area coming up. Two contests close together could equal a lot of expense regarding transport, conductors fees etc. We recently attended a local contest (which we won) where the prize money was £150 and it cost us significantly more to attend after conductors and deps, and that was without a coach.
  5. persins

persins Member

Fantastic Idea Dave.

I think the timing would be crucial though as many bands would be gearing up for the areas at that time. SWT Woodfalls have tried in recent build ups to get a more pressurised environment for a public performance of a test piece and it has generally been successful. We have tried to do this the weekend before if possible. If it could be sorted out, I'm sure it could be an option. If it is too far away from the actual regional performance however, then it could have a detrimental effect. We tend to play at Yeovil in early Feb and then build straight on up to the Regionals after that so it may be that it could help bands such as us.
    I cannot officially speak for the whole band though since I am not a committee member but to me it sounds good. Any opportunity to hold a contest such as this in the South Central area would be welcome.
    We don't seem to have had that since the Reading Contest folded.
  6. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I think Lauradoll has a valid point. I know our band would love to enter more contests, unfortunately the cost of entering with coach, deps etc, has to be taken into consideration when you're basically a self funding band. If the potential prize money of any contest would not cover the cost of attending, then the contest is a no go from the start.
  7. Pav

Pav Member

Hi Dave

I know Unity Brass are definitely interested in attending. Our contest secretary has been trying to find some details about it.
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Its a good idea BUT:It really is to close to the area Contest and not many bands like playing the Area Test Piece 2 times if you were to pick them.
  9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Isn't there a contest in the midlands which is a "taster" for the areas, as it uses the same set testpieces?
  10. Brian

Brian Member

Should we run the contest

Yes. North East Midlands Brass Band Association run their Contest about 1month prior to the Midland Area Contest using the Area Test Pieces.In 2006 it will be on Sunday February 19th at the Rolls Royce Centre in Derby
  11. Steve

Steve Active Member

Derby's got a great bar too! Its HUGE.

Shame there were so few entries last year cos I thoroughly enjoyed my day out with Hathern.

I think prize money is gonna be the clincher, if you can get the funding then Im sure plenty of bands will want to run through the test pieces.
  12. postie

postie Member

I am sure if you rang the contest as a prelim to the areas you might get a very good response.
  13. NeilW

NeilW Member

We are currently planning on going to up to Derby - as there's nowhere to air the area piece more locally at the right time...

I guess (not speaking for the band!) that we'd be interested in playing it more locally instead (would certainly save petrol!)

Would the fact Oxford is almost on the boundary (haven't checked the dates!) give a problem with L&SC, Midland and WoE bands all potentially wanting to enter and being at varying levels of preparation.

14. persins

persins Member

I think that L &SE and WoE are on the same weekend, 18-19th March. Not sure about the Midlands though.
  15. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Well a lot of bands run out the area test piece in contests beforehand.
    I know that in past years in Cornwall a lot of bands go to Truro and play the Area piece to give it a run out.

From what I gather bands do it at Preston in February as well. Own choice contests are a good idea so it gives bands the chance to play the test piece if they wish and those who don't can play something else