Should prize money be higher in the championship section??

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Horny Dentist, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Horny Dentist

Horny Dentist Member

Following the regionals where the prize money was:

1st £200
    2nd £100
    3rd £50

I can't help but ask the question - should the prize money in the championship section be greater than that of the lower section considering the following points -

Conductor costs
    Player costs
    Increased amount of rehearsal time
    Higher standard of performance
    Plus anyother points you can think of!!

I'm not trying to belittle the lower section bands - however on the surface it seems that it would cost a champsionship band significanlty more to prepare and perform at a contest compared to a lower section band.

Anybody got any thoughts??

2. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I think the Area prize money is quite pathetic really. It says alot when some entertainment contests give better prize money than the esteemed regional contests.

A fair increase would include all the sections, and not just the top section.

Championship:
    1. £800
    2. £400
    3. £200

First:
    1. £600
    2. £300
    3. £100

Second:
    1. £450
    2. £200
    3. £75

Third:
    1. £350
    2. £150
    3. £50

Fourth:
    1. £250
    2. £100
    3. £50

3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

How would this be funded?

4. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Exactly.

That's the part I missed off.

I played in the North of England areas for five years, and you're lucky to get 30 people in the hall for some of the bands.

At £5 a ticket, that's only £150 income for those people.

There's no way the prize money I stated could be afforded, but that's the way of things.

5. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Why?
    We`re all amateurs, we`re supposed to do this for fun!

6. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

It costs lower section bands more travelling expenses to go to contests, especially in this area. They have to get up at the crack of dawn, there are more in the sections (generally), The players spend more at the event on refreshments etc and if we want to here any of the better bands, we have to book the coash to go back later, which means 2 drivers, greater cost. We also have the expense of conductors, test pices that cost the earth - never to be played again and the same cost for bandsmens tickets, which we often get to use - how often do you here of the top section bands supporting the lowere sections. The prize money should therefore be higher in the lower sections!! :tup

Off my soap box now :redface:

7. Valvespring

Valvespring New Member

Sounds like yet more elitism to me!!

8. Horny Dentist

Horny Dentist Member

Well, the regionals are sponsored by York instruments, there is rarley any mention of sponsorship for the entertainment contests, so how do they manage to get so much prize money on offer?

Surley maybe some more proactive promotion and sponsorship seeking for the regional contests may be able to increase the prize money??

9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I don't think any bands enter the Regional Contest soley for the prize money. It's the prestige of becoming Regional Champions and qualification to the National Finals that is the attraction.

;)

10. Horny Dentist

Horny Dentist Member

I have to agree with you, but getting to contests is not cheap, I don't think that it's possible to attend any regional contest and break even, unless you live next door to the venue and don't pay your MD.

Certainly qualifying for the finals is the best bit but bands still need to stay in the black

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Top Section
    Bayerd
    bands
    prize money
    giving quality concerts
  12. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

no band enters the regional to win the prize money, we all enter to win the contest and qualify for the finals (in any section)

I doubt if any band makes a profit from the regional (or any other contest) thats not the reason for contesting.

13. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Should the prize moey be higher in the Championship Section.

I think that The Tameside Contest has got it about right :- ALL the sections get the same prize money, 1st Prize : £600, 2nd Prize : £400, 3rd Prize : £300.

14. zak

zak Member

We are all amateurs!!! But if you seriously think it costs the same for a fourth section band to go to the area as it does a top section band then you are seriously misguided!!! Top conductors and borrowed players cost far more for a start.

Not a case of elitism at all but just plain facts.

Regards

15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

The only reason apart from higher conductors fee's that it costs more to take a championship section band to a contest is the players "expenses"! Somewhat worrying in an "amateur" movement. and like was previously stated they normally play at the end of the day so have less expenses on the day. Leave it be!! Who says they make more effort than any of the lower section bands to deserve more prize money?:confused:

16. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Also worth a mention that in Scotland the regionals dictate which section you compete in. You might do only one contest a year and as long as its the Scottish Championships you could stay in the top section (or whichever section) if your result is sufficient to do so. Kinda got us over a barrel prize money wise. We won our section and the prize money didn't even cover the cost of our bus, let alone get near to touching conductors fees, music etc.:confused:

17. zak

zak Member

Nothing at all to do with whether or not they make more effort, just costs more! Simple as that rightly or wrongly. It's a simple fact!

Also, why is it " somewhat worrying" for an amateur movement? Does that mean that all amateurs irrespective of what they do have to charge the same expenses/fee???? What on earth has playing at the end of the day to do with expenses levels? Do you not think players rehearse hours before the contest start?

Top section borrowed players overall charge more than lower section deps, I'm not saying that this is correct but it's an absolute fact on the whole!!!

Regards

18. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Yes, that may be true but my issue is with "expenses" which is often used as a cover for "wages" or "fees" to make it sound more acceptable in an amateur movement, for what are essentially professional "pay-to play" players. As for borrowed players are they really borrowed or "rented"? We all know it happens so why do we bother pretending to be an amateur movement? After all professionals get paid, amateurs do not!!

19. zak

zak Member

Then perhaps we are not a totally amateur organisation then???? ;)

20. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Back in the 80's a friend of mine who was a regular member of a top championship section band playing 3rd cornet earned more from the band than he did from his regular day job!!! :confused:

Brass banding stopped being an 'amateur' movement decades ago.

21. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Top Section
    Bayerd
    bands
    prize money
    giving quality concerts