Should Kevin Pietersen be recalled to the England Cricket Team

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bbmad, Apr 17, 2015.

?

Should KP be recalled to the England Cricket Team?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Considering the struggles of the current England batting order, should the mercurial talent that is KP be recalled to the team?

Can allowances be made for a disruptive member of a team if they posses an immense talent?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    England Cricket Team
    Kevin Pietersen
    Flugel Horns
    link
    Kevin Peterson
  3. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

HA!! good topic :clap: . You certainly have an affinity with KP (both of you are disruptive, and both can occasionally contribute something positive... though the jury remains out on the immensity, or not (as the case may be), of your talent).

4. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Goodness, a comparison between Bbmad and KP! I don't know who should be the more offended!

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

As a keen cricket follower and one who for his sins (of which there must have been many) has found himself at various times getting pinned with some of the more tact-requiring jobs of brass band player management, whenever I read reports that touch on Pietersen, I find myself suspecting very strongly that if he were a band player, any band would have a hard time keeping his input profitable. Team strife has followed him wherever he's gone in his career, from South Africa to county sides to the international arena; successive teams have been tempted into taking him on in a spirit of optimism due to his formerly prodigious playing talent, then (I think uniformly?) found themselves lower after he's gone than they would have been had they left well alone. There are people in banding that have a similar effect, but thankfully not many.

But to answer the question: No. If he were in the form he once was, then a side at the highest level of the game that was struggling might consider holding their nose and living with the knowledge that they've struck a Faustian bargain that's likely to turn sour. But he isn't in anywhere near that form any more. A player at the form level he's at that wants to get picked for tests needs to make themselves a thoroughly useful team person. I don't see Pietersen being interested in that...

6. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Good post, Moomin: KP knocked 170 against a university side this week, so, he might still be capable. But, for fun, consider the following scenario:

You are on the ECB selection panel. It's the week before the third Ashes test and England are trailing 0-2. Cook has found a bit of form, and the opening partnerships have provided solid foundations of 80-100 for the first wicket in each of the first four innings of the series. However, Mitchell Johnson has been tearing the middle-order apart and innings after innings collapses after promising starts. Meanwhile, in sunny Surrey, KP has just passed 1,000 runs in the County Championship and the media and former players and pundits are baying for the recall of KP. What do you do? Stick with the flailing middle-order that is simply wilting under the barrage coming from Johnson and the sledging from the Ozzies breathing down their neck, or swallow your pride and phone KP?

7. MoominDave

I would tend to think that picking him would be such an obvious slap in the face for those he'd be playing with, those that he went so far as to badmouth in print, that the loss of team morale immediately occasioned by having him back would more than take away what he, even in his most high-scoring heyday, would have brought them... Just can't see any way for him to come back, unless the whole on-field and back-room team changes in order to accommodate.

Didn't Geoff Boycott's granny score 170 against a university side last year?

8. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

She did indeed...with a stick of rhubarb

9. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Considering their consistent inability to perform, Jimmy Anderson and Bell aside,would that be such a bad thing? Better to fill the team with demanding winners than a bunch of dead beat losers surely?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  10. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

If he was an Aussie and acted as he had, one of his team mates would have punched him on the nose and they would have all moved forward.

11. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Maybe KP's spectacular innings in CC this weekend puts things in perspective.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    England Cricket Team
    Kevin Pietersen
    Flugel Horns
    link
    Kevin Peterson
  13. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Especially when compared to Cook and Trott ripping it up in the Caribbean

14. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

They were terrible today

15. MoominDave

While putting together the highest England opening stand in yonks (admittedly not the most difficult feat in international cricket) and laying the foundations for a substantial first innings lead? I wish I was so terrible.

16. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Oops, Dave, I think that was irony...you're not American, are you?

17. MoominDave

Not last time I checked...

Mind you, the cricinfo online commentary was full of format-ignoring feedback gems from England supporters along the lines of "This is rubbish. They should be scoring more quickly to put pressure on the WI.". Mr Mad tends to be more sophisticated than that though.

18. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Irony as well?

19. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Fortunately the ECB have managed this situation very well and have not come out with any criticism or looking like blundering idiots.

20. MoominDave

Hey, that was irony / sarcasm / satire; spotted it first time. I'm on fire today!

21. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Looks like my prediction is coming to pass. Cook has found some form, England are short of batsmen, and KP has now scored close to 500 runs already and we're not even halfway through May. By the time the Ashes start, he'll probably have far more than 1000 runs. Strauss has finally managed to settle an old score following textgate, but will he be able to resist recalling KP in the middle of the Ashes?

22. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I should imagine so. Strauss has said it himself, he cares little for the Ashes, his job as described by himself is to ""make sure we are not off pace for the next World Cup"