Should it be banned?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by still learnin, Jan 19, 2010.

1. still learnin

still learnin Member

Can't help but notice (as I trawl through the various threads) that one or two members of tMP have fairly strong opinions about what goes on within individual bands or the banding world in particular. Titles given to particular positions within the band is a good recent example.

So, no beating about the bush, get it off your chest, what really gets on your nerves within your band, other bands or the brass band world generally? What would you ban tomorrow (without regard to consequences, this is in an ideal world)?

I'll start with an old favourite - sending text messages during rehearsals. Should be banned with massive penalties to anyone that does it. IT'S RUDE!!! There, that's my big gripe (or one of them). Over to you.........
  2. worzel

worzel Member

Chatting. I thought I'd escaped it when I left the back row. Now I'm sandwiched between two horns who think the MD only talks to provide space between playing for them to catch up.
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Any band jackets that feature gold braid!
  4. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

MDs who can't keep to rehearsal times.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... especially dragging on at the end which doesn't help players who need to get public transport to get home (or get to work, i.e. nightshift).
  6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I do when the MD is practising something with another section of the band. I don't personally think its rude and what would the penalty? Sack me? Then find another bass player in Buxton!!

My gripes:-

Commitees that cannot do there jobs and involve me in there band politics. Which fortunatly Burbage have a brilliant Committee!!

Players who think they are really good and are not

Subs - I will never join a band or help a band out that ask me to pay subs
    Players that don't try

I think thats about it!:)
  7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Players that won't pay subs. ;)
  8. killer

killer Member

bands that charge subs
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Our conductor does that regularly, but I don't see the problem?
    We're on the countryside, so noone is coming to rehearsal by public transport and if there are people that really have to be gone at a certain time (e.g. some of our younger members who have to be in school early in the morning...), it is ok if they leave the rehearsal earlier. But that almost never happens.
  10. Di B

Di B Member

People who don't have the manners to inform a band when they are not going to be there or are going to be late (obviously, there are serious exceptions that we should all forgive - but a party isn't one of them!)
    Those bands that don't accept serious reasons for absense... my Mum is in hospital - ok you are sacked approach...

People who think it is ok to treat bandsmen like something the cat dragged in... everyone (even the annoying!) are people with feelings that should be respected

Big name/famous players/conductors/adjudicators with no people skills, no real talent, who are rude and arrogant.
    Real disappointment to find a mouse behind the man (or woman!)

Fortunately, only know of two on the last list so far - most 'famous' people I have met have been lovely, wonderful people.
  11. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

gripes in banding that **** me off more than others (I'm quite a grumpy little thing lol!)

1) players who let the rest of the band down by consistently avoiding practise....I'm not talking about players who can't play their parts, I mean those who would be able to if they spent 30 minutes on it, but don't....and expect the rest of us to sit in rehearsals while the conductor teaches them their parts.

2) players who don't help set up or pack down at rehearsals or concerts

3) people who talk the whole way through rehearsals and concerts, especially those who are vocal about other players or the conductor grrrrrrrrrr

4) people who pull faces when someone gets their part wrong...not exactly encouraging is it? I would rather they said whatever they've got to say, and then we'll listen to them play their part note perfect lol!

5) players who try to change the tempo of music by rushing/slowing down - please - that's what the conductor's for...

6) people who don't turn up because they can't be bothered

7) committee members who do nothing constructive at all, in fact don't even turn up to meetings - what's the point?

8) people who don't let me know that they're not available for gigs until the last possible minute (the worst thing in the world believe me, I could truly shout at some people's unthinking attitude sometimes lol!)
  12. euph-man

euph-man Member

Players that constantly talk when they are not playing and the worst one for me players that start rehearsing their own parts after the conductor has just rehearsed that section and play rather poorly
  13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Some bands need the money. ;)

And I payed to play rugby, my wife pays to play hockey, my son pays to play football etc etc. So why should my hobby be free?
  14. still learnin

still learnin Member

C'mon Rapier, that's an opinion on somebody else's opinion. What things would you like banned, stamped out, eradicated (in this ideal world where nobody leaves a band because of our actions). It may help to get things off your chest, out in the open....... LOL

Maybe when everbody has finished ranting we can ask the "offenders" why they do it (e.g - why they think it's OK to chat or ignore what's going on in a rehearsal by texting, why MDs drag out rehearsals, etc. etc).
  15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

When the adjudicator (or adjudication sheets) disappear into a back room with the contest organisers before the positions are announced.
  16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Aren't they also the ones that are written in pencil? ;)
  17. Band members that tell everyone else there is a problem before discussing the problem with me(MD)
  18. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

People that don't stop playing when the MD stops to look at something...why do they need to be the last to stop playing three or four bars later? Just stop for god's sake!
  19. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Forgetting to bring a pencil or not having one.

I also agree that texting during a practise should be banned.
  20. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Whoever has the misfortune to sit in front of trombones should be banned from moving their chairs back or hanging their coats on their chairs...
    Slide room people!