Should I or not?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Feb 3, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

If I start practising for a half hour, and want to take a half hour break, should I warm down/cool down ?

How do the pro players do it when they practise?
    I am not sure if I should warm down each break or not.

2. ydna36

ydna36 Member

what sort of practice are you doing in this half hour??

3. Euphgit

Euphgit Member

hey

If you are practicing after the half hour break you should do a couple of minutes of some easy blowing at the end of the half hour. you don't really need a full warm up, but a quick 5 minutes easing yourself back in to full practice mode is a good idea, and you should warm down when you've finished playing for the day

At least that's what we generally do at college, hope this helps

4. xRinat

xRinat Member

I play alot of high notes.

5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Depends if you feel any fatigue or not. If you do, low notes/pedals will help relax the muscles again. I don't think a full warm down is neccessary.

6. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Each to their own methinks - was fortunate enough to have Maurice Murphy play at a concert for our band many yonks ago, and I recall him saying that he never warmed up, he just got on with it... I can't get through the first couple of hymns without warming up on the old John Ridgeon-type stuff...
    Ah, to be Maurice for a day... my hero...swoon...there's alot to be said for the older fella..! ;)

7. xRinat

xRinat Member

I mean that if I was taking like 3 hour break, should I then warm down? or just lay down my cornet and pick up again and play after hose 3 hours?