Should I be forced to go to the AGM?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by StellaJohnson, Jan 19, 2009.

1. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Whilst I appriciate the hard work of our committee and players who go beyond the call of duty, they do alot of good t terms of our funding and purchasing of instruments and of course our recent newly built bandroom (which took some doing, to say the least!!). I have a dialema at the moment. A few years ago our AGM used to be on a weekend night and changed it to tuesday which is our rehearsal night.

Should I be forced to go to the AGM when I have no interest in it at all (I boring as well) bearing in mind its still rehearsal as usual?
  2. Bobbi's girl

Bobbi's girl Member

No one is forced to go to an AGM, but if you don't go & then aren't happy with committee members & decisions they make then DON'T COMPLAIN!!!!
  3. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I think it's your band as much as every other member, and that you shouldn't feel "why do I have to go?" but you should be interested in going! After all, important decisions can be taken there that may affect you as a member of the band. You can't whine about them for the rest of the year if you don't attend the AGM and participate in the vote!
  4. StellaJohnson

I have no problem with the committee, they do a suerb job and they actually get off there bums and raise money for the band. They are great and probably an envy of alot of bands. For the standard of band we are doing good well paid gigs. I have nothing to complain about. But I fell putting an AGM straight after rehearsal you are forced to listen. I'm simply not interested. My role is simply play n practice and keep politics away from me
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I think having AGM after a reheasal is a good move, saves on an extra journey to band and esures a good turnout. If you don't want to go Froggypoos, just tell em you've a dodgy ankle again :D

The ginger whinger can have a little Ginger whinge then :wink:
  6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Nobody should force you to go to an AGM but as others have said it's probably in your interest to go. If you don't go, you can't moan. You say you only go for the music.... what if the band decide to change its musical direction at the AGM? What will you do then? A lot of important and fundamental decisions are often made at AGMs, you should make it your business to be there... If nothing else it stops others putting your name forward for responsibility without you knowing!!! ;-)
  7. StellaJohnson

Thanks everyone for your comments, you have certainly made me look at it at a different light.

In response though togeordiecolin, alot of decsions go on at our monthly committee meetings which I am not a member of so therefore have no say anyway. Thats why in a way a brought the question up. stelx
  8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I once played in a Band that had a great idea for AGM's. If you weren't there, you could be elected to any position! Made for a full attendance, but you didn't have to go ;)
  9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

You may not have a direct say at these monthly meetings but you are able to influence who gets to have a direct say via the committee elections at the AGM.
  10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Much depends on how democratic your band is. In my band, any member can attend any committee meeting, to see what goes on, and are allowed to contribute if they so wish (subject to the Chairman's agreement) but are not allowed to vote.

Obviously, the committee is charged with the day-to-day running of the band and is elected by the members at the AGM to do just that. The AGM is the opportunity for members to hear the annual reports of the officers, to receive a statement of accounts and to elect the committee for the forthcoming year. Discussion can also be had about the progress and direction of the band, or any other relevant subject the members care to bring up.

If you're not bothered how the band is run, don't bother to go to the AGM. But bands don't run themselves. As you've already said, it takes a lot of hard work and the more people who involve themselves, the lighter the load for everyone. You might consider doing a bit more than just practicising and playing the dots. Committee work isn't about politics, it's about keeping the band alive. You never know, you might find it less boring if you find out what goes on behind the scenes.
  11. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

That is an excellent idea!!
  12. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Love it! I will be implementing this idea forthwith.
    We always have our AGM on rehearsal night but before the rehearsal. That way there is incentive to get the business done as quickly as possible.
  13. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I would suggest that attending the AGM is one way to show your support for the hard working committee. I agree that these meetings are not the most exciting way to spend your time. However, imagine how many similar meetings and other functions your committee participates in over the course of a year. Is it too much to give an hour or two once a year to support and encourage them in their efforts on your behalf? Congratulations on asking a very important question. I hope the replies have encouraged you to attend.
  14. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Stella you could always go on the committee you know and participate in those monthly meetings. Bands cannot function without a hardworking committee and there is always a need for the younger members to take part and learn how it runs and to bring fresh ideas and thoughts. You may find some of it boring and indeed it is but sometimes it can be quite stimulating especially when there are new projects to be managed or a new MD to be selected or strong differing opinions...
  15. StellaJohnson

I am pleasently surpised how interested people are at going to the AGM. Noting wrong in being interested in the bands financial position etc etc. Still don't want to go, I really am lucky we have a good commitee and player committee that I can leave them be. I just don't feel it should be force upon to go.