Should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

What do people think about whether Prince Harry should go to Iraq or not. Can see why people are saying he shouldn't go, its bound to make him, and consequently people around him a target, so put other soldiers in even more jeopardy than they are already.

Seems a bit hard on him, as he didn't ask to be born into the royal family, but he can't have it both ways. He could always abdicate from being third in line to the throne and just be a soldier, the job he has worked to qualify for, not the one he got as a birthright.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I agree Daniel. He shouldn't go... simple as. Its not because of the fact that he himself would be placed in danger, but he would attract a lot of attention and ultimately cause many other troops to be the subject of additional risk.

He should not go.
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

He can't abdicate from being in line to the throne. Anyway, Yes he should deploy whenever his regiment does. The danger is increased by the scum that are today's media. It would have been better for all if the headlines had been, "Prince Harry Returns from Iraq". Why actually give information about any troop deployments? The Press aren't allowed to during a war, so why do they get away with it now? Providing the "enemy" with any information is not the cleverest thing to do!
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Excellent point Mr Rapier... hadn't considered that. It is bad that this is announced for the world and those dedicated to causing havoc and death. Rather silly eh?
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My feeling is that he should go, and with as little fuss made as possible. It seems ridiculous to have allowed him to pursue a career in the Army and then to prevent his deployment alongside his troops. It should have been clear that he was not interested in being a "chocolate box" soldier, and the authorities should not have let things get this far unless they had a contingency plan to see it through to the end.
  6. euphojim

euphojim Member

This situation could and should have been forseen before Harry joined the Army. Now the crunch has come, whatever decision is taken it will attract criticism. If as I suspect, Harry's presence will place others at increased risk, then he should not go.

Jim :confused:
  7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I feel he should go, however the press should not have been made aware of his deployment.

Its the press who will have put his colleagues at risk. I don't remember this panic about Prince Andrews colleagues during the Falklands War.

He signed up to join the Army and knowing the risks that the job entails.

Also he could of also done a Prince Edward and claimed Army life was not for him!
  8. Bungle

Bungle Member

I think he should go, it will flush out the insurgents who will come out of hiding to kill or capture him. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes, but stays on base.
  9. sonja

sonja New Member

Well surely if he's in the army he should be allowed to fight, should this problem not have been discussed before he entered the army?
  10. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Yup he should definately go.
    I do believe he will be a target, and put others at risk, but thats the job they sign up for.
    They are all at risk being out there wether he is there or not. it comes with the teritory.
    I wpould like to see him out there on the front line. not just kept on base hidding away.

Just think about the propaganda the oposing forces will be able to put out if he is told he cant go. that we are scarred of them by not letting him go!!!

Let the boy go and do the job he has trained for (and we have paid for!!)
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Would he really be a target... One bloke in camo wearing a helmet seems to look like any other bloke wearing camo and a helmet. Its not like he'll be a wearing a crown in combat or anything!!
  12. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Good point well made Sonja! This is the crux of the matter - why is this being debated in the press and by all accounts, in the army hierarchy, after he has passed out of officer training?

Surely the thought of a soldier going into a war zone would have been identified early on?
  13. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

It's nice to see a discussion on this issue without the thinly-veiled implication that somehow Harry doesn't want to go and the Queen is desperately trying to stop him having to go. I think he wants to go (as much as anyone does) and I think his Granny has every right to be proud of him as I am sure she is.

I agree with everyone who has said that it should never have come to this, because it should have been sorted earlier on. If he was set on being a soldier, surely they could have found him a different job in a different regiment so neither he nor anyone around him would be on the front line? I also agree that the press involvement has been far too much.

Now? I think it's too late to back out. The MOD are sending his regiment and he is prepared to go. So go he should - and then a complete media blackout should be enforced.
  14. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I agree - a bit of forethought could have avoided this situation altogether. most people are agreed that Harry should be allowed to have a military career and even take part in front line combat.

In Andrew's case he was just another anonymous helicopter pilot. If he got shot down he would have been a national hero.

The problem in Harry's case isn't the risk of him getting killed in action, but the national embarrassment and political nightmare that would develop should he be taken alive as a hostage.
  15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Um, do you really think the Iraqis get their military intelligence (oxymoron) from the Sun? I should imagine there were people in Baghdad who knew about this before the Sun did...
    Muzzling the Press during wartime is more about boosting civilan morale with a pretence of secrecy than any real fear of exposure.

Yes I think Harry should go, with as little fuss as possible, just like all the others in his regiment.
  16. MHunt

MHunt New Member

I have no problem with Prince Harry going to Iraq. He joined up with the full intention of having proper military service. He doesn't expect to be treated any differently to the other troops, even because of his lineage to the throne. In one sense is this any different to when his Uncle Prince Andrew served in the Falklands. (I may be wrong here please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!) Ok In the Navy prince Andrew was on a boat kept away from the front line out of danger i believe.

That said, The point that his presence in Iraq would attract unwanted interest from the insurgency, and the resistance groups in Iraq, putting our other troops at greater risk is a very valid one. They should consider this in the context of the good of the other troops too, not just the Princes.
  17. SteveT

SteveT Member

Fact is that he will want to retain his credibility with his troop. He is currently training as a troop leader and tank commander. He may not be finished this training before his Regiment deploys, but if he is, HE will want to go. He needs to be able to demonstrate to his men that he can lead and do the job. This will then help him gain their respect. HE will want this.

As his brother and the future King, is joining the same regiment, I would be more interested on how he is treated!

However.... Good luck to Harry Wales and the Blues & Royals in their efforts to bring peace and civilization to a hard pressed local population.

Having served against terrorists, I can say that they normally use a very blunt weapon (roadside bombs, suicide bombers etc) mainly against the indigent poulation, their intelligence is poor and they are normally poorly led!

Anyway.... I thought the Blues were off to Afganistan, not Iraq! (Probably wrong).

Vestigia Nulla Retrosum!
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Andrew was certainly not kept out of danger in the Falklands, as part of his role was flying helicopters as decoys to confuse incoming exocet missiles. It is true, however, that there was much less risk of kidnap or of a specifically targetted attack than there would be with Harry on the ground in Iraq.
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure he has finished his Troopy's course. He's been a Sub Lieutenant for a year now. He does want to be treated as just another soldier and was during his time at Sandhurst. He still had to pick two regiments and be boarded for both before being accepted for the Calvary (not that they would have dared turn him down).

And Bigmamabadger, it's not the Iraquis but insurgents that are the threat and they gather and are passed information from all sources, including the Sun. :cool:
  20. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Here's an idea, get rid of all the Royal Family then it's no longer an issue:)