Should conductors be subject to registration like players?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by NeilW, Mar 17, 2005.

?

Should conductors be allowed to conduct multiple bands in the same contest (series)?

1. Yes

68.8%
  2. No

31.3%
  1. NeilW

NeilW Member

Some bands choose to "employ" a different conductor for a contest.

That conductor may have their own band in another section or region.

Is this a good thing?

Should bands be allowed to use a conductor who has conducted a band (in the same year) in a (often much) higher section, or should conductors be subject to the "only appearing once" in the regionals like players and have the same restrictions as players?

Neil.

[Edit] Since I don't seem to be able to edit the poll question to make it clearer, please take it that I meant:
    "Should conductors be permitted to conduct multiple bands in the same contest (series)?"

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Something doesn't seem right about a conductor being hired by more than one band for the areas when bandspeople can't...I can't put my finger on it though.

Maybe, its a loyalty thing...maybe I don't like that young or up & coming conductors have on less chance to make a mark..not sure.

It is nice fro m the standpoint that a professional can help the band improve greatly and play at a higher standard, which is the most important thing (but they sitll don't have to conduct on the day)

3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I voted yes as I think it is up to the bands to decide who they want to conduct them at a contest, and shouldn't be restricted by a contentious legality. A former conductor of my band took us and another in the same three year period in the same section and area, and gained both promotion. Whilst this isn't quite what your original question was about, would it have been fair to only allow him to conduct one band? and, would it have penalised the conductor, or one of the bands? My money would be on the band taking the penalty.

4. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I don't see any problem with a conductor taking multiple bands to the Regionals even if they happen to be in the same section. I view a conductor as a professional that a band is paying to do a job.

I would question the wisdom of a band allowing their resident conductor to take another band in the same section or another band inviting such a situation. That's the only time that I can imagine there being split loyalties.

Other than that, knock yourselves out conductor dudes, have a blast!

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The concept of a professional conductor is firmly established in the contest world. I don't see any real reasons to change the way that it works, although there are some possible conflicts of interest.

6. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I did vote yes..... but thinking about it I should of said no as I think a conductor should be able to conduct more than one band as long as he treats them the same and they all get the rehearsal time that they need.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Then you voted the right way. The poll was back to front to the question.

8. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Just a point to think about. Say conductors were only allowed to take one band on stage. This wouldn't prevent bands hiring a conductor to come down and work with the band prior to the contest? A large chunk of a conductors work (in terms of band training anyway) is done before the band takes the stage.

9. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Perfect poll for me then! am always making decisions with out thinking about them first!

10. NeilW

NeilW Member

Agreed.

I think this has a real benefit in providing tailored coaching for the resident conductor - which surely is to the benefit of the band in the long run.

Similarly, there's no reason why (other than money!) that you can't employ top players/teachers to coach the players of the band, of course...

There probably OUGHT to be an exception where a conductor can conduct 2 bands from the same organisation (I played in an organisation that fielded a youth band and an "adults" band that had a number of players and the conductor in common and there was no conflict)

(I haven't voted yet - having asked the question - I can see both sides :-0)

Neil.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    conductors
    contest
    registration like players
    regionals like players
    multiple bands
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Interesting point there Chris, and one that cropped up when talking to a friend who's conducting this weekend. He has had a respected band trainer doing some sessions with the band, whose own band was not placed as high as expected in their area. The question that arises is whether the approach taken should change following the bad result, or do you carry on regardless?

Another point to consider is what happens if a conductor gets more than one band to the finals in the same section. In the past, conductors would often conduct several bands and think nothing of it, but nowadays they rarely double up: unless prior thought is given to this, bands can feel let down if "their" conductor opts to lead someone else instead.

I don't think anything is likely to change regarding this: there are some conductors who are very good at getting bands to finals, and many bands will opt for that, regardless of whether he can take them onece they get there. I see no problem in conductors taking bands in various sections (although that could be complicated if they are adjudicating in that same section in another area).

13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

With many conductors being paid professionals you could get into all sorts of hot water with Brussels regarding "restraint of trade" if you tried to introduce rules limiting an individuals freedom of employment.

Having been in a situation this year where I had to find a conductor at short notice for the area I can say that many of the ones I spoke to declined because they were already taking one or at most two other bands. I personally don't have a problem with a conductor taking multiple bands. However, it is up to the individual to manage their time sufficiently so that no one of their "clients" suffers.

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The only problem I have with this is if a conductor is conducting bands in different sections and the draws result in both bands being drawn at the same time! :eek: What do you do in such a stuation?

Other than that - the MD is a paid professional (one would hope) and he should be able to conduct as many bands as he likes. As a professional, questions of loyalty probably shouldn't arise. The conductor should give his best to both bands (or maybe to the piece?)

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yes by all means they should.

I cant see a problem with that. Its the bands choice to either have there own conductor or get someone in.
    I have always been conducted by the band who i have been with appointed conductor but i would not object if a professional was brought in and he was also taking a band in another area:clap: [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Exactly! A professional conductor should be a slave to the music and have the necessary skills to bring out the best performance of players and band. Just think about the Major's position ... he has three bands qualified for London. Is he likely to conduct all three? Fantastic personal result, but I cannot see him taking all of them on stage at the RAH.

17. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There are, for me, two answers to this! To the question raised on the topic heading, which is what I answered!, then no, I don't believe Conductors should be registered.

However, as to whether they should be allowed to conduct multiple bands, I veer towards no on the basis that a band engaging a conductor ought to be able to expect his undivided attention, particularly if the bands are in the same section.

Of course, for those higher up the food chain who have resident conductors, I would guess they do most of the work anyway - shame they don't get the public credit when the band win!