Should Beckham loose armband?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Well Worth It, Jun 25, 2004.

Should Beckham loose captainsy

1. Yes, sick of him.

2. No, stick with him.

1. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

If a captain is supposed to lead by example, does Beckham really deserve the role?
    He wasn't our best player by a long stretch of the imagination.
    He looked absolutely shattered, I'll admit, but his concentration level was appalling.
    He failed to inspire the team and looked weak on the ball.
    Sol for captain?
  2. Heather

Heather Member

Of course he should. Not because of the missed penalty :x but because he was by far our poorest player of the tournament.
    He's supposed to lead the team..well, there wasn't much leading being done last night!
    He has too many things going on in his private life to fully concentrate on football.
  3. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Just posted on another thread this very thing. Yes he should be replaced. He has not been up to scratch this time around and Sven should have had the guts to do something about it !!!
  4. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

well hes had one bad tournment, but give him a chance!! he has proved him self before and he will be capable of achieving his standard of play again. he has not played wellduring the euros, but he hasnt played badly, always pushing the team forward, and just his presence on the field encourages the team.

i say stick with him :D
  5. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

There was a real lack of leadership when we needed it most. The game was crying out for someone to take charge and organise the midfield and make us take more control of the game. No passing, all long ball the ball back to Portugese time after time.

I like Beckham and think he has alot to offer the team but don't think he is the man for the job. His penalty summed up the appalling lack of commitment and composure he has shown over recent months for club and country. Thing is , if you take the armband of him:

i) who gets it instead?
    ii) All the squad know Beckham as captain, would it be tough taking on the armband with him still around.

Tough one!
  6. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

While I really like Beckham as a player, I've never thought of him as captain material. There must be English players with a lot more leadership qualities than Becks who would do a much better job wearing the armband and let David go back to concentrating on his game.
  7. Bassment Jinx

Bassment Jinx Member

Watching the Euro 2004 matches, he has played too casually which came across to me like he didnt really care. He has become too much of a defensive player and never looked like he was going to set up the strikers as he did in days of old :? . On his perfomance at Euro 2004 i wouldn't have him as captain. Then again Thierry Henry hasn’t played to his full potential in this tournament either so you cant really judge a player in this way.
  8. louise0502

louise0502 Member

I agree that he played as too much of a defensive midfielder, rather than attacking and passing the ball up to the strikers, which is what he does best, but he did make a few crucial clearences too. I think he was an ok captain and he does have the respect of the players, though he needs some practise in "rallying the troops". I also think if someone else became captain now that it would be quite awkward within the team, that it would only hinder our performance.

I say stick with him!
  9. OMG you're all pathetic!!!! Are you trying to tell me that you are all on form permanently?... :? Give the guy a break - he wasn't great by his standards, no. That doesn't suddenly make him Mr Turd :shock: Football fans annoy me... you're all quick to kiss the players butts when they do well, but as soon as they have weak times you slag them off and make out like they're some kind of invalid. A little support wouldn't go amiss, neither would remembering how well he has always done in the past.
  10. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

my point!! everyone has there "off days" he is a proven leader.
  11. Well Worth It

He's led us to what exactly?
  12. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

semis of world cup.
    the fact is it takes more than him to make the team, there also needs to be personal motivation. England have been unlucky not to win any major tournaments recently, but this has not been the fault of David Beckham, he has done his best there has always been circumstances beyond his control.

in fact in the portugal match we was asking the ref why several free kicks had been given against England, when they werent given against portugal. he is trying.
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

If I made a mistake as dreadful in my profession as he did yesterday, and if I showed a lack of leadership qualities in my professional management role... I'd be sacked on the spot. Besides... he is paid enough NOT to make these sort of mistakes. Lethargy is not what won the England Rugby team the world cup... profesisonalism all the way there. Seems 'twas a tad lacking in their footy team eh...;)

Little Miss M... he is paid enough and yes, absolutely, he certainly should be on form permanently. Period. And by the way... I don't kiss any players butt;)
  14. Well Worth It

Preeeecisely :tup
  15. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Thats pretty true fans (me included sometimes!) do tend to slag players off after one bad game instead of thinking of all the good games. Remember, if it wasnt for Beckham in Old Trafford against Greece you wouldn't have been in Portugal (only if you won in the play offs!)

In 2000 when Man Utd didn't win anything they didn't change their captain - he still is the captain to this very day - the one and only Roy Keane. Maybe Utd aren't the best team in the Premiership now, but they are very close to being the best there.
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

I think you're all missing the point here - it wasn't Beckham's fault - it was Johnny Wilkinson's - Beckham's been taking goal-kicking inspiration from him - hence the miss last night - Beckham was only copying his mate!
  17. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

This might help to explain the problem... :D
  18. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I don't think he is captain material really, I have never thought that, especially with players like Campbell, Terry and even Gary Neville who have much more leadership ability than him.

Unfortunately David has had a bad season at Real Madrid (if you look at all the Real players in the tournament they aren't doing well, even Zidane by his standards!). He has been played as a defensive midfielder and unfortunately people expect him to slot back into the attacking role he had at United. I've heard a lot of people complaining that Real have been playing him out of position, but surely it is the national side that are playing him out of position. I don't think the move to Real has done Beckham any favours, but people have to respect that his football has become a lot more defensive and people should stop looking for him in an attacking role.

I think taking the armband off him now will totally demoralise him and we may never see the David Beckham of old again. We should wait a while (i.e. just before the world cup quals) before we announce a new captain.
  19. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

20. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

So... was this the cause of that brilliant penalty then...