Should adjudicators' decisions be accepted without WWR arguments?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Will the Sec, Jan 20, 2009.

Should adjudicators' decisions be accepted without WWR arguments?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
  2. Yes!

17 vote(s)
  1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Only two choices, yes, or yes.
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

WWR meaning We Wiz Wrobbed?
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

LOL - but where would the fun be in that?! ;)
  4. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Absolutely yes. Anything less is casting doubts about the adjudicators ability or integrity. If a certain adjudicator saw some of the comments on the Butlins thread I am sure he would seriously wonder if it is worth his time to undertake judging and the last thing we need is to lose the vast experience that such people have gained.
  5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes, with my serious hat on, I would agree with you Ian.
  6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

It certainly is interesting...

Have a look through past results at various contests and see if a certain adjudicator is being whinged about having no idea what they are doing put the said whinger's band in a good placing.

See if they whinged then...
  7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I wouldn't mind betting that the majority of adjudicators probably do read the comments on here, and largely don't give a flying what's said. At the end of the day, they're the guys getting paid to come to a decision that the paymaster respects.

My guess is that someone who's played at the very top level for a long time doesn't care what the opinion of someone who hasn't is......
  8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thats a rubbish argument - if you can't do a bit of WWR then contesting would be a very moral sapping experience for a lot of bands.
    Part of the dusting down and getting ready for the next contest is the blaming of your poor result on the adjudicators incompetence - plus, of course, better preparation so it will be harder for it to happen next time.
    Just because the result is a fait accompli does'nt mean you shouldn't be able to moan about it. There are many things in life that you have to accept and can't alter such as taxes, the weather, etc. but we all love to moan about them.

If nobody can ever complain about their results then what is the mechanism for getting rid of incompetent adjudicators?
    If a result is really controversial and has people moaning about it then contest organisers will be loathe to employ that adjudicator again. If bands just swallow their pride and quietly accept the result then the adjudicator lingers on making more bad decisions.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:clap: ... totally agree! I can't think of anybody who's played at the top level go public and say his/her band were robbed. Can you?
  10. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I may not have agreed with our result but I'm not going to moan about it.

People can do what they bleedin' well like - if you don't like the we were robbed stuff just don't get involved and let people get on with getting it out of their system.

11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

An adjudicator's decision is his personal opinion - it can't be 'wrong' because he's [or, as the case may be, she's] giving his honest opinion of the performances he's heard.

As a player I think it's impossible to know whether your opinion would have been different - you can't have heard your own performance from the auditorium so can't compare directly, and in any case your own opinion is unavoidably biased one way or the other.

As an audience member I (and I'm sure most of us) have witnessed adjudicator's decisions I wouldn't agree with or even find absurd.

That's not the fault of the adjudicator - their personal opinion is bound to differ from mine - it's the fault of any system (whether "olympic gymnastics gold medallist", "Women's Institute summer fete marmalade section winner", "Best Budgerigar in Show", or "Brass Band contest champions") which makes an attempt to quantitatively analyse a non-measurable variable.

There should be three aims in any such competitive pursuit
    - to acheive satisfaction that you've performed\ acheived \ produced the best you can,
    - to impress your peers with your level of attainment and
    - to acheive success by appealing to the opinion of the judge \ adjudicator \ panel.

Personally I feel we should be happy with any one of these three - the adjudicators opinion isn't the only thing that matters.

[p.s. just because I think we should feel this way, doesn't mean I necessarily always do......... despite having in the past adjudicated in one of the above non-band examples - and been criticised for the wrong result!]
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  12. mdfreeman

mdfreeman Member

Here here :clap:
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I think we all are guilty of complaining about "our" results at one time or another, yes ALL.
    Its just that some are either, not brave enough or too sensible to express their views on a public forum :wink:
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Of course we cannot be happy all the time, but don't you find that there is a unwritten confidentiality clause that's in place when you hear it from others, especially if they are well known in banding?
  15. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Here's a little poser for you.

What would happen if a certain Jonathon Pippen was to appear as an adjudicator? (not beyond the realms of possibility).
    Would all the saints on tMP be able too maintain their holier than thou stance?

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ha ha...good question. :biggrin:
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

More interesting would be the response if their bands won! :rolleyes: (... hypothetically speaking, of course! ;))
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Yes it is.
  19. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

We will see after the areas the people who say they don't moan when actually..............
  20. Owen S

Owen S Member

I agree with all of that, exactly.

Whether tMP is an appropriate place to air those views is another matter. As it happens, I would argue that it is, particularly if a band is considering making a formal complaint to the contest organisers, but that isn't the question being asked in the poll.