Should 4BR be put in a box?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by BikeBadger, Oct 12, 2014.

1. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

So I packed my rucksack with sarnies and cake, got on the train, bought my score, put my phone on "silent" and settled down for a day of band-spotting at RAH. Had a great day - Dyke were superb and are back where they belong.
    One gripe - the 4BR live comments. There's no doubt live comments can add to the experience. But they really must be accurate, rounded and impartial or they are rendered useless and irritating. Preconceptions abound - some of the comments seemed pre-prepared, with the hack responsible determined to stay "with the script" whatever was presented on the day. Maybe it's time for 4BR to put itself in a box - then it's output might be more rigorous and disciplined.

2. RedOctober

RedOctober New Member

What a stupid suggestion. First off the live feed though useful if you're at the contest and can't use your own ears to decide how each band performed, is really for people at home who aren't at the contest. How are 4br viewers supposed to know which bands they are commenting on? True you can use the draw, but that's just tiresome to keep scrolling up and down the to check the comments against the draw. Why make it so complicated? They have no bearing on the results whatsoever and if you have such a problem with how they write up each performance, why are you on their website? They are constantly on the internet (they have to be to upload the live feed) and could very easily find out who is on stage anyway through social media.
    And secondly, despite your criticisms of 4br's commenting, they were pretty accurate with their prediction weren't they. Maybe they don't do such a bad job at all....

Should idiots be banned from posting on here? Yes

3. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

1) Inaccurate preconceptions are not live commentary and are of no use to people at home.
    2) How lazy are you?
    3) I won't bother with their drivel in future.
    4) Never heard of self-regulating? You tool.
    5) Haven't criticised their predictions at all. Just expressed my dissatisfaction with their live drivel.
    6) Where would we be without you?

4. RedOctober

RedOctober New Member

1) in your opinion only, possibly shared by some others. Whenever you perform it is subject to criticism. You may not agree with it, but that's music for you. 4br are professional music journalists, Iwan Fox himself was a soprano cornet player with the world famous Tredgar Town Band. That's probably far more than you've ever done and I think speaks for itself. I'm pretty sure Iwan and his team know what they are talking about. The result and their prediction back this up and as a result was of great use to those at home.

2) not especially lazy, but nevertheless it would be a very tiresome system and completely stupid after what we're used to, just because someone difficult ie you, feel their current system despite having no effect on the actual result, doesn't work.

3) Your problem with 4br commentary is instantly solved. So why your absurd suggestion?

4) Of course, but do you really think that's going to be strictly maintained by them? Especially if you get a stunning performance and they really want to know who it was. And as a result of that, do you seriously think the organisers are going to pay someone to supervise them throughout the contest? Of course not you moron.

5) no, but their commentary kind of backs up the predictions they made, so in effect you are also criticising the prediction.

6) who knows, this site would be lost totally to stupid people without me

5. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

oh I love a good row !

6. Pastit

Pastit Member

It's like Rambo and Pete Smith (private joke!!)

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Well, I am one who more often than not reads all the comments as it's mostly not possible for me to be there in person. I think the reports they provide are their honest opinion of each performance and often illustrate the very subjective nature of music making. Obviously they know they can't influence the result and they know they are exposing themselves to criticism by providing their predictions. Often they get it right, or pretty close to right; sometimes they are wrong, much like the weather man!! I'll continue to rely on their comments and wait, impatiently as I did yesterday (it seemed to be a long contest) for the result. And even the blokes in the box don't always get it right do they? At least according to some comments, someone was always robbed it seems.

That said, it appeared from my interpretation of their comments that few bands really played well and many individuals had difficulty with the solo passages. Is that a fare comment or do I need to read them again?

8. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

......<snigger!>

9. RedOctober

RedOctober New Member

Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?

10. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Walking through London at around 10:30 I observed a dribbling, ranting, aggressively confrontational sociopath so I crossed the road in avoidance. I employ the same tactic on web fora. Moron? You pathetic little idiot.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    4BR
    RAH
    Dyke
    BR live comments
    cake
  12. RedOctober

RedOctober New Member

Well clearly you don't as you were on 4barsrest checking out what they had to say about the performances!! You said yourself you attended the contest armed with sarnies, cake and a copy of the score. You put your phone on silent and settled down for a day of band spotting. Obviously you put your phone on silent so that no-one could bother you, you had a copy of the score, so I can only assume you were engrossed in that. Then at the end of the contest you checked 4br, or maybe you were checking it inbetween performances to see if 4br thought the same as you. Obviously what you thought was not the same as 4br which has led to your moronic suggestion of a box for 4br on this thread. I really would't call that avoidance at all, you clearly love 4br and I'm willing to bet that you have already read their contest report. Let me guess they got that wrong too... Fool

13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

A lot of people complain about 4br, I agree sometimes they are a little bias towards welsh bands but so are most football pundits on telly for there former teams!!! I think on the whole they are doing a great job, they are the only people I can think off to get instant contest results and opinions on the day. You are entitled to your opinion just like many others but I think your comments are a little unfair.

14. tromboneyone

tromboneyone Member

It would be good if you could provide some examples of what irritated you about the comments so we can actually have a reasoned discussion rather than silly name calling on both sides.

15. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

An old chestnut, I know, but I find 4BR's sycophantic name-dropping particularly grating. Name all players subject to their remarks or name none.
    And then there's the instance where a rated band has a 'mare (see results) and this is barely reflected in the "impartial" commentary.
    I don't want to be any more specific than this. I'll leave the nastiness to the sociopath whose posts are there for all to see.

16. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

quiet day at work so i've had a look at 4BarsRes comments, predictions & results:

[TABLE="width: 858"]
    [TR]
    [TD]draw[/TD]
    [TD]band[/TD]
    [TD]4br[/TD]
    [TD]named[/TD]
    [TD]halfway[/TD]
    [TD]prediction[/TD]
    [TD]result[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]20[/TD]
    [TD]dyke[/TD]
    [TD]stunning, flawless, the double beckons[/TD]
    [TD]Gary Curtin, Nick Childs, Zoe Hancock[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [TD]cory[/TD]
    [TD]towering impact[/TD]
    [TD]Phillip Harper[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]15[/TD]
    [TD]brighouse[/TD]
    [TD]right up there for us[/TD]
    [TD]Lucy Cutt, David King, David Thornton[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [TD]tredegar[/TD]
    [TD]power but slips[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]17[/TD]
    [TD]fairey[/TD]
    [TD]found the drama[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]flowers[/TD]
    [TD]impressive stuff[/TD]
    [TD]David Childs[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]7[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [TD]fodens[/TD]
    [TD]classy account[/TD]
    [TD]Glyn Williams[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [TD]7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]13[/TD]
    [TD]reg vardy[/TD]
    [TD]weighty, well put together[/TD]
    [TD]Russel Grey, Joe Cook[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]8[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]grimethorpe[/TD]
    [TD]individual take[/TD]
    [TD]Mike Dodd[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD]9[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]18[/TD]
    [TD]wantage[/TD]
    [TD]brave debut, will stay off the bottom[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]10[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]woodfalls[/TD]
    [TD]some excellent lost detail[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]11[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]7[/TD]
    [TD]coop[/TD]
    [TD]dramatic inconsistent[/TD]
    [TD]Glenn van Looy[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]12[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]gus[/TD]
    [TD]inconsistent[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]13[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]14[/TD]
    [TD]burry port[/TD]
    [TD]brave attempt, not bottom[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]14[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD]whitburn[/TD]
    [TD]lost its way[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]15[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]19[/TD]
    [TD]friary[/TD]
    [TD]commited & gutsy, mid-table[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]16[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]11[/TD]
    [TD]tongwyllis[/TD]
    [TD]no spark[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]17[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]10[/TD]
    [TD]frickley[/TD]
    [TD]dissappointing[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]18[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]9[/TD]
    [TD]desford[/TD]
    [TD]didn’t come off[/TD]
    [TD]Tom Davoren[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]19[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]16[/TD]
    [TD]eyms[/TD]
    [TD]unengaging[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]-[/TD]
    [TD]20[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

for me they have done a pretty good job of predicting the top six and if you look at the comments as you go down the result its pretty clear that 4Br comments tie up with the adjudicators results.

17. RedOctober

RedOctober New Member

Well why does the naming of the players matter? Not being funny, but if someone like David Childs or Chris Thomas for example nail a solo, people reading 4BR live feed want to hear about it, quite apart from the fact these living legends deserve the credit. And if one of these players has a bad day, it's often best not to name them, but simply say euphonium, or trombone etc. 4BR are not there to make personal negative remarks on people's playing. If you're having a strop because someone in a lesser band didn't get named, seriously who cares? They haven't the time when doing the live commentary to go and find out who it is.

Which rated band do you feel had a 'mare?' And why?

18. chingchongchew

chingchongchew New Member

I did hear all the bands on Saturday having made the trip from North of the border on Friday.
    A great day and what a test piece.my top 6 were
    Dyke
    Brighouse
    Fairey
    Cory
    Foden
    Reg Vardy

I only play in a jazz band but it was a great day indeed

19. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

For once I have to agree with RO. Im not saying the band media is perfect by any means - for example All4Brass missed out the LSC area completely, which whilst it doesnt have many superstar names, has supplied plenty of lower section national champions, includes our national capital city and more bands than anywhere except perhaps the South West in terms of entries. But they do provide an overview, something to give those NOT there an idea of how bands played. I see little point in following the commentary if youre in situ unless youre connected to one of the competing bands perhaps

As SteveTrom mentions 4BR werent actually far off, both in comments and predicted placings. There will always be those that disagree, but then there are those that disagree with the men in the box. In terms of the OP, putting them in a box or hidden position COULD work - people can work out who is who from the draw - but that would involve checking multiple sites perhaps (as presumably 4BR only send one person usually) and additional confusion for not a lot of benefit other than perhaps removing "Welsh bias"

20. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

For what it's worth, I love the 4BR live feeds: I followed both the Nationals and the Open with 4BR and wouldn't have changed anything about them. They were well written, informative and, in the end, really very accurate. What would putting them in a box achieve? We already have adjudicators doing that. I specifically want to have the comments linked to whichever band is performing or has just performed. It's supposed to be punditry, and not adjudication.

21. st magnus

st magnus New Member

like everyone else no one is perfect but they do a great job and there work ethic is brilliant.did it for ten years with them. A pleasure

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    4BR
    RAH
    Dyke
    BR live comments
    cake