Shostakovic- Piano and Trumpet Concerto No1

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fitzy, Sep 16, 2004.

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Has anyone here played the Concerto No 1 by Shostakovic?
    Can you recomend a good recording?

I have to play it on the 23rd of Sept and I really need to find a good recording!
  2. JF2

JF2 New Member

Shostakovic Rec

Hi Fitzy,

Good luck with that - and have fun !
    Might be too late, but my favorite is Reinhold Friedrichs recording, released by Capriccio (here in Germany, I think). He is an absolutely amazing player with incredible sound and power !
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Good luck!

I only know one recording to be honest, but I quite like it! It's on the Classics for Pleasure label, and features Dmitri Alexeev on piano and Philip Jones on trumpet. Jones, whilst not being recognized as a great soloist, is admirably suited to this role on playing largely 'second fiddle', his playing on this getting the right balance between understated (never dominating the piano) and soloistic where needed. Record number (in the UK, anyway) is CDCFP 4547. Hope this helps.
  4. lornamac

lornamac New Member

Amazon have several versions listed.

Los Angeles Phil with Thomas, Don't know the recording but heard them live recently, probably very good.

BT Scottish Ensemble with John Wallace. Very good

I used to have a recording of Philip Smith playing it with the New York Phil which was amazing

There is also a recording there with Doksh*tser playing, don't know which orchestra but I would imagine he'll be fantastic if nothing else

Hope that's of some help.