Short Championship Section Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Aug 26, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Does anybody know any good championship section standard testpieces that are only about 10 minutes or so (even less possibly)?
  2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Energy - Robert Simpson it is under 10 mins...
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From what I remember George Lloyd's "Diversions on a Bass Theme" is fairly short, and is good for both players and listeners. (Just checked a couple of recordings, which come out at about 11 minutes)

Morley Calvert's "Introduction, Elegy & Caprice" is also about the same length, as is "Journey into Freedom".
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

5. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

The Corsair 8.15 - Carnaval Romain 8.32
  6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Blitz is around 11.5 mins on most recordings, but conductors make it longer by exaggerating the pause before the final note!

The Frogs of Aristophanes is around 8.5 mins which must make it one of the shortest original band pieces in regular use at contests. Kensington Concerto, John O Gaunt and Variations on the Shining River all last around 10.5 mins.

As someone said, Energy is quite short (which is why it replaced Men and Mountains at the RAH in 1991) but Simpson's rarely-heard Vortex is even shorter.

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Of Men and Mountains was replaced in 1992 with New Jerusalem ( the National Youth Band of Wales played it on the 10 Anniversary with Edward Gregson , one of the best playing experiences I have had so far ) , I think Vortex is unavailable ( I think it was commissioned by Yorkshire Imps and dedicated to this years National Finals test Piece composer John Pickard as RS had " Used " this title for one of his own pieces). I don't know if Rosehill ( or what they are called now) have this as the NYBBW were to play it in 1991 but were unable to locate set / score and Volcano was used instead ( but not played at any of the concerts).
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

It may not be a Championship test piece no more but

La Forza Del Destino:The Force Of Destiny
  9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Year of the dragon can be less than 10 minutes if you play it fast enough, ha ha. Seriously though, I think the Frogs of Aristophanes is about 9-10 minutes
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Percy Fletcher's 'Epic Symphony'? That's pretty short.
  11. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Not according to my recording... its over 16 minutes! From what I remember, James Cook Circumnavigator is fairly short, that was one of the first test pieces I played in contest.
  12. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

My Grimey CD has it as 8'24" - maybe they belted through it....
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

In any case, whilst it's certainly not easy, I wouldn't class it as a top section piece nowadays.

I'd go with Frogs. Some might consider that not to be a top section piece but it's still got enough tricks to unsettle even top section bands. Personally, I love it! ;)
  14. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I think "La Carnval Romaine" by Hector Berlioz is about 11 mins long, but you can zoom through the quickest section, if you have the band capable of playing at a vastly speedy tempo! It is also a cracking piece, good solo euphonium needed, and sop, from what I remember.

15. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Was Malcom Arnolds "Fantasy for Brass Band" ever a test piece?
  16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Yes, I've done that in the top/first section a couple of times. Like some of the others here, its perceived as "easy" but still has enough in it to sort out the better bands. Freedom is another one.
  17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

1974 National Finals ;)
  18. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Carnival Romain
    Poet & Peasant
    Concerto Grosso

Only ones I can think off although not too sure if all are Championship.
  19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Le Roi D'ys is only just over 10 minutes long. Might not be a top section piece anymore - its been a while since I attempted it with a band - but I remember it isn't easy.
  20. Steve

Steve Active Member

Corsair can be done in 7.53 if you take it at the break neck speed Nick Childs did on The Essential Dyke III

I am sure Concerto Grosso is 20 mins unless there is another one not written by Bourgeois.