Shock Horror!! French Horn used to advertise Brass Band Event!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidquinlan, Jan 17, 2007.

1. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

A picture of a "French Horn" is being used to advertise the Yeovil Contest on the Octagon website.

This is deplorable... do they not know what they are doing...truly shocking.... I'm going to raise this with my local MP!!!!!

They must have used the same marketing company as Morrisons.

See for yourselves.. if you can bear it.......
  2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Don't you nkow that's actually the picture of the new Besson H flat bass? C'mon Dave!
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

So there's a copyright issue, then?

That might make them take it down then....
  4. Flugelfrank

Flugelfrank Member

Its shocking!! But once I played in a brassband and they had two tenor horns and one........french horn:)))
  5. ssmith

ssmith New Member

Shame French Horns were not part of the Brass Band make up in the early part of the last century. It would have added a lot of colour to the brass band sound. I wonder if there have been any top outfits who have managed to use French Horns on a regular basis and whether it worked??
  6. NeilW

NeilW Member

London Collegiate Brass used them when I played with them (long ago!). A band comprised of mainly music students in central London. Don't know if they still exist...

We're not taking any French Horns to Yeovil though :)
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not quite the same thing, but in the mid 1970s Besses, under their then Profesisonal Conductor Ifor James, replaced the tenor horn section with Tenor Cors (along with an Eb trumpet for sop IIRC). Although it was interesting, my belief was that there were intonation problems betwwen them and the rest of the 'standard' instrumentation.
  8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

GSMD Brass Band used French Horns and Trumpets when I was there. Different sound - perhaps not to everyone's taste, but I'd rather hear music played well than players struggling on instruments they're not used to. Saying that, the Euphonium/Baritone line was usually a Comedy of Errors....
  9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Ha ha, that's right, there are no intonation issues when using full 'standard' instrumentation :)
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I never had any ;)

....but I'm sure you know what I mean.
  11. 24aw

24aw Member

I love a French horn section giving it full tilt, I just don't know weather there is the general standard of technique around on the instrument, I have only heard a few players of the instrument that have dazzled me with technique, the rest have tended to be waffle based. Wouldn't fancy a French horn section in my band during the 3rd movement of Montage say!!!
  12. critic

critic Member

Hepworth Lanson Homes Band are doing a cd at the end of this month with a trumpet player and a french horn player from Holland Its good for bands to record with other instruments it broadens the musical mind
  13. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

This thread has some rather serious replys.. to my original tongue in cheek post! :)
  14. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

re: anyway....

...anyway, yes - there is some false advertising going on for these brass band festivals these days ....what with a french horn for this one and a 20 something year old pretty blonde girl playing Bb bass on the beach on Pontins promotional stuff :)

hmmmmmm, i've seen some things at Pontins before - but never that!
  15. stripybananas

stripybananas Member

you've obviously not seen the cover of the CD "Brass Spectacular" featuring, Dyke, BAYV, Fodens, Hammond Sauce Works (now YBS), Carlton Main, Wingates and other such bands. Dyke have also released a CD of their own featring a french horn on the cover, its titled "Best of Brass" and heres a couple of piccys of the two covers.

Attached Files:

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Although it's not my fault or my responsibility I will shamefacedly admit that the Southport Dramatic Club are using a French Horn on their poster for the upcoming production of Brassed Off in which we are playing.

Sadly, the 'great unwashed' still do not know their instruments/ensembles properly - I know 'cos I tested my year 7's today on last week's work and they had forgotten!

BTW, the show runs from Friday 26th January to Saturday 3rd February at Southport Little Theatre and the Box Office is now open. ;)
  17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

French horns look prettier...
  18. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

I agree with you on the sound of french horns, it's stunning.

It's a common misconception among brass bands that French Horn players in general aren't as good players, due to their being an increase in clicks and splits, and other general things that are not as prevelant in the very mellow and comparitively easy blowing of a brass band instrument. This is mainly due to the insanely difficult nature of playing one. I'm not sure on the full reasons why they are so difficult, but i know just part of it is the mouthpiece.. it's like playing down a very small funnel! Seen many top class tenor horn players struggle with the transition.

Beautiful instrument though. And I'd love to see a good band on stage performing something like Jupiter with a large French Horn section.. would be awesome.
  19. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

French Horns are actually longer than Trombones, but with a small mouthpiece.
    try this for instance, pick up your cornet (or what ever you play) and try pitching nots above a top C without splitting, that is what it is like on a Horn lol
  20. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Last weekend at the Yorkshire areas they had rows of french horns on their menu in the cafe at St. George's Hall. :eek: Made me laugh!

You would have thought they'd have known better in Yorkshire! tut tut!