Shock big-name departures at Grimethorpe

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by British Bandsman on TMP, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isn't banding just crazy :confused:
  2. critic

critic Member

nothing surprises me atgrimey
  3. well we often hear talk of players having no loyalty to bands but its a two way thing.
    when you read things like that it must make people wonder why they bother
  4. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

5. I wonder where 'The Daddy' will go? all the other top bands have quality principals......
  6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Perhaps they couldn't afford him any more...

Sad though, mind you I'm sure there's a nice big queue for the pair of them.
  7. GreasySyrup

GreasySyrup New Member

Very surprising that a board of trustees can make decisions like that apparently without giving reasons or consulting the band. It seems some of the band did not know until they read it on here! I always thought that Grimethorpe was one band that was run by the players.
  8. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

they get paid? :eek:
  9. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I think there is more to this than first meets the eyes to be honest. Im still shocked but to sack not one but players with no reason given then I don't know something seriously must be wrong. Don't be surprised if they are not the last to leave. . .
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Except for the ones whose players are earmarked for Grimey vacancies. Perhaps they don't know yet. Time will tell.
  11. critic

critic Member

your not wrong there
  12. Metoo

Metoo Member

Results have not been the best this year for Grimey and with the arrival of James Gourley, Phil McCann and Alan Whittington as the new Conducting team one never knows the under currents or agreements made with the trustees.

I agree with Stephenmrry there must be more to this than meets the eye. Will be interesting to hear the reactions of other Grimey players as to whether they were aware of what was happening. Or was it as sudden as it appears??????
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Awwww bless :D
  14. disgruntled

disgruntled New Member

As a player in the band I can confirm that yes it is as sudden as it seems and no the players weren't consulted or informed of what was happening. As far as any undercurrents because of new conducting teams are concerned there were none. However, what should have been an exciting, prosperous year for the band under an extremely talented conducting team has been turned into a battle between us (the players) and them (the management). It is an absolute disgrace the way in which recent events have been handled
  15. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

roger and mccan in the same band room....
  16. GreasySyrup

GreasySyrup New Member

Has that not been the case ,on and off, for the last three years?
  17. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

ofcourse....forgive my DOH! moment
  18. For 'Disgruntled's earlier comment. while I cannot confirm or deny you are a member, you should surely realise that it is not any member's place to comment speculating on the band's collective point of view. ("....a battle between us the players and them the management) or to publicly air such comments without consideration for the band or the comments possible outcomes.

This comment in itself is utterly ridiculous, and such comments only serve to detract from what is already a difficult situation.

Whilst I am truly saddened and shocked by the sudden departure of Roger and Ian, both of whom I hold in the highest regard and it was a true pleasure in playing alongside them, and I'm sorry for the way it has come about, until we the band COLLECTIVELY have discussed how we are going to move forward in 2009, its probably for the best, for the good of the band, its heritage and future, to keep one's personal grievances to ones self......member or not. We are a team, and we will remain as strong as ever, as long as such comments stay out of it!

Rant over.
  19. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

P.M maybe? Fueling the fire by replying maybe?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.