Shirley Band Seek a Solo Trombone, Back Row Cornet and Percussionist

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by solo_euph, Jul 5, 2003.

1. solo_euph

solo_euph Member

Edit: for current vacancies, see recent posts

The Shirley Band based in Solihull just of the M42 in the West Midlands are intrested in applications from Trombone players that can help us in our quest to continue our winning ways when we are promoted to the 1st Section in January 2004.
    If you are interested in joining the 2nd section Midland Area Champions take a look at our web site at www.shirleyband.co.uk to find out more about the band and how to contact us.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2012
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shirley Band Seek a Solo Trombone
    Back Row Cornet
    Light Hall School
    Front Row Cornet Back Row Cornet Tenor Trombone
    The Shirley Band
  3. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Shirley band requires....

Shirley Band (1st section, Midlands) requires a **FIRST HORN** and **FRONT AND BACK ROW CORNET** players. For anyone interested we rehearse on Wednesday and Friday nights (8pm till 10pm) in Shirley (near to junction 4 of the M42).
    Any other players also welcome :)

So if you fancy joining a friendly first section band... look no further: :biggrin:
    * Have a look at our website **here**
    * Phone Brian Johnson on 01564 703787
    * PM me here - im here quite often

Thanks
    Tom :)

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  4. Tom-King

Just a quick update...

We now have the first horn seat filled. :biggrin:

However... We are still looking for **FRONT AND BACK ROW CORNET PLAYERS**

Tom

5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Say hello to your new 1st Horn player for me, presuming it's who I think it is. ;)

6. Tom-King

I think it is.... im sure someone said he came from Hade Edge...
    Will do :)
    Tom

7. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Shirley Band are looking to recruit

The Shirley Band, (Midlands Area 1st Section, Conductor Martyn Ford) are looking for a Front Row Cornet player, Baritone player and a Trombone player to compliment our existing line-up. You will be made most welcome at this sociable, friendly and hard-working band (well, we like to think it is anyway!)

Rehearsals are 8.00 till 10.00 in the music room at Light Hall School, Shirley, which is about 5 minutes from Junction 4 of the M42 (A34 exit). For any further information try visiting our website www.shirleyband.co.uk.

8. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Hey Rob, may have been a good idea to mention which days you rehearse as well as where and what time, just in case people don't fancy visiting the website to find out

9. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Thanks!

Rehearsals are Wednesday and Friday evenings.

Apologies for the confusion.

10. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Recruitment at Shirley Band

Thanks for the response to the last advert, and we would still like to recruit players of the following instruments in order to compliment our existing outfit.

Front Row Cornets
    Baritone
    Tenor Trombone

The Shirley Band (MD Martyn Ford) is a hard-working, friendly and sociable band based in Shirley (which is within the borough of Solihull). Rehearsals are held on Wednesday and Friday evenings in the music room at Light Hall School, Hathaway Road, Shirley from 8pm till 10pm. (this is just off the A34, approximately 2 miles north of M42 Junction 4) .

We are currently sitting in the upper-middle of the 1st Section in the Midlands Area, with ambitions to progress further. Can you help us achieve our ambitions?

If interested you can PM me, or contact me (Rob) by phone on 0782-1924759

11. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

Hope you find someone Rob. Come on folks you know you want to!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shirley Band Seek a Solo Trombone
    Back Row Cornet
    Light Hall School
    Front Row Cornet Back Row Cornet Tenor Trombone
    The Shirley Band
  13. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

New Players required at Shirley

The Shirley Band are looking to recruit players in the following sections in order to enhance our existing line-up in advance of our busy summer concert and contest season:-

Front or Back Row Cornets
    Tenor Trombone
    Baritone

Any other brass or percussion players are more than welcome to come along; we'd be more than glad to accommodate you.

The Shirley Band are based in the Shirley district of Solihull, where we have been ever since we were founded in 1919. We're currently high up in the Midlands Area 1st Section rankings having come 7th in the section 2 years running and "with the potential come next years Areas" according to 4barsrest (whatever that is supposed to mean!).

We're quite a sociable and friendly bunch who enjoy making a good standard of music in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere under the leadership of our most excellent conductor Mr Martyn Ford. If you haven't heard of him look up his website via ours at www.shirleyband.co.uk, which contains loads of other information about the band.

We rehearse on Wednesdays and Fridays (8pm-10pm) in the music department at Light Hall School, Shirley. This is just off the A34 Stratford Road, about 2 miles north of Junction 5 on the M42.

If you fancy coming along drop me a PM, or alternatively you can use any of the contact numbers given on the website. We look forward to meeting you.

P.S. Sense of humour essential!

14. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Shirley Band Vacancies Update

Following the recruitment of some excellent players to bolster the Trombone and Back Row Cornets, the Shirley Band are looking to recruit players of the following to complete and complement our line up:

Front Row Cornet
    Back Row Cornet
    Baritone

Players of other instruments are also welcome to come along.

We have a very busy and exciting time ahead of us, with several concerts during August and September; then we begin the contest season with Wychavon Festival of Brass (under Dave Lea) and Pontins (under Andy Culshaw).

We rehearse every Monday and Friday at Light Hall School in Shirley from 8.00 till 10.00. The school is on Hathaway Road, Shirley, just off the A34 Stratford Road and only a couple of miles from Junction 4 of the M42.

Send me a PM if interested.

Edit: threads merged as per tMP Recruitment guidelines, PB, Mod

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2007
  15. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Steadily improving in standard under the direction of Dave Lea and Andy Culshaw the Shirley Band are looking to recruit players of the following to complete and complement our line up:

Front Row Cornet
    Back Row Cornet

You'll be joining some exceptionally talented players, under some superb direction, but who together make a friendly and sociable band - as the recent Pontins contest has proved. Players of other instruments are also very, very welcome to come along.

We rehearse every Wednesday and Friday at Light Hall School in Shirley from 8.00 till 10.00. The school is on Hathaway Road, Shirley, just off the A34 Stratford Road and only a couple of miles from Junction 4 of the M42. Lifts can be arranged, if you need one, from many parts of the West Midlands.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2007
  16. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Oops! Referring to the previous message, the rehearsals should say "Wednesday and Friday". I think my typing fingering is about as good as my cornet fingering!

17. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

4thmandown wants to get back to 4th man down

Shirley Band are looking to recruit some cornet players to fill up our ranks and to allow me to return to my true calling as the shoveller of the cornet section, instead of having to be 2nd man down and splitting loads of high notes!

It would also be great to have some cornet players joining our back row, as for some bizarre reason our utility Rep/2nd/3rd/Flugel player Alan is moving to Australia in the New Year (no chance of a decent beer there Al!).

We rehearse on a Wednesday and Friday at Light Hall School in Shirley from 8.00 till 10.00. The school is located on Hathaway Road, just off the A34 in the middle of Shirley and just 2 miles from Junction 4 of the M42.

We're a friendly and sociable bunch, with an irrepressible sense of humour, as many guest players can testify, which is essential at contests.

If you fancy coming along, then you can either PM me, or contact me on 07821 924759.

Rob

18. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Shirley Band are looking to recruit some cornet players to fill up our ranks and to allow me to return to my true calling as the shoveller of the cornet section; instead of having to be 2nd man down and splitting loads of high notes!

It would also be great to have some cornet players joining our back row, as for some bizarre reason our utility Rep/2nd/3rd/Flugel player Alan is moving to Australia in the New Year (no chance of a decent beer there Al!).

We would also welcome players of any other instruments, including Trombone and Tenor Horn.

We rehearse on a Wednesday and Friday at Light Hall School in Shirley from 8.00 till 10.00. The school is located on Hathaway Road, just off the A34 in the middle of Shirley and just 2 miles from Junction 4 of the M42.

We're a friendly and sociable bunch, with an irrepressible sense of humour, as many guest players can testify, which is essential at contests.

If you fancy coming along, then you can either PM me, or contact me on 07821 924759.

Rob

19. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Shirley Band are looking to recruit players of the following to complete and complement our line up ahead of a busy summer schedule including the Weston-Super-Mare and Wychavon contests.

Front Row Cornet
    Back Row Cornet

Among our number we have some very talented players, under the superb direction of Alwyn Green (of the CBSO), but who together make a friendly and sociable band - as the recent Pontins and Area contest have proved (despite 4BR chosing to ignore us!). Players of other instruments are also very, very welcome to come along.

At present we rehearse every Wednesday and Friday at Light Hall School in Shirley from 8.00 till 10.00. The school is on Hathaway Road, Shirley, just off the A34 Stratford Road and only a couple of miles from Junction 4 of the M42. Lifts can be arranged, if you need one, from many parts of the West Midlands.

20. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

The Shirley Band, probably the friendliest band in the Midlands, hope that a couple of cornet players and a tenor trombone will boost our ranks and help us continue to challenge for contest honours on a regular basis following our superb result at Weston Contest.

Among our number we have some very talented players, (in the words of Philip Wilby "eloquent soloists"!) under the superb direction of Alwyn Green (of the CBSO), but who together make a friendly and sociable band. Players of other instruments are also very, very welcome to come along.

At present we rehearse every Wednesday and Friday at Light Hall School in Shirley from 8.00 till 10.00. The school is on Hathaway Road, Shirley, just off the A34 Stratford Road and only a couple of miles from Junction 4 of the M42. Lifts can be arranged, if you need one, from many parts of the West Midlands.

Send a PM if interested.

21. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Cornet players; are you looking for a superb opportunity to lead a first-class cornet team?

The Shirley Band now have the position of Principal Cornet available for a suitable applicant. Any other Front Row cornets in particular will be more than welcome as we look to build on our excellent 2nd place at Weston Contest and challenge for honours in the future.

Among our number we have some very talented players, (in the words of Philip Wilby "eloquent soloists"!) under the superb direction of Alwyn Green (of the CBSO), but who together make a friendly and sociable band. Players of other instruments are also very, very welcome to come along.

Send a PM if interested.

22. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Studying in Birmingham?

If so, and you are looking for a band, The Shirley Band will provide a warm welcome.

We're a very friendly, hard-working and sociable band, based in the town of Shirley about 4 miles south of Birmingham City Centre. We currently inhabit the upper reaches of 1st Section, and are looking to build on our successes so far this year (7/18 at the areas and 2nd at Weston) in the coming contest season.

Players of any instrument are welcome, especially trombones and cornets, to enhance our existing team. Lifts can be arranged from most parts of the West Midlands.

Interested? Then PM me, or contact Brian Johnson via our (under-construction) website www.shirleyband.co.uk.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008