Shires Eastman ETB634 - Views???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by gcbtrom, Jul 14, 2009.

1. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shires Eastman ETB634
    Conn
    bad bone
    Shires Eastman ETB634 - Views
    URL
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Basically a student instrument 'approved' by Shires. If they made 20-foot bargepoles.....

4. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

"20 foot bargepoles..."

Say no more... Is it really not worth it?

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The Eastman by Shires has actually got a pretty good reputation on the trombone forum (www.tromboneforum.org) - and they're a group of people who generally aren't afraid to say that a product is poo when it has issues. Try using the search function there to find some more opinions (I know you're a member). Have you tried any, Duncan? I haven't had the chance yet.

It's basically a trombone assembled to Steve Shires' specifications in a Chinese factory whose workings he has trained, inspected, and approved - and those who know him say that he wouldn't lend his name to such a product if it was shoddy.
    The business model works well enough that Mick Rath is just launching a similar venture with the partnership of John Packer. I don't have the impression that he'd lend his name to shoddy goods either.

All that said, I don't think that you'd be doing yourself any favours by writing off your Conn. There are two possibilities there - either i) Your instrument has changed, or ii) Your playing has deteriorated. If (ii), then a new trombone isn't going to fix things. If (i), then finding the fault on the Conn and fixing it up will a) have you playing a trombone you enjoy playing again, and b) save you a lot of money. Are there any first-class trombone repairers within reach of you?

6. MoominDave

p.s. I have a few reservations about the "Shires sound", personally (and I'm talking about the only Shireses I have experience of here - stuff that has actually come from the Shires shop). It's big, nay huge, warm, and feels great in the practise room - but in an ensemble when you really have to make it bark - they make it hard work to get tonal focus without blowing the ensemble apart. A great solo instrument - not such a great brass band instrument, despite its exquisite craftsmanship, design, and price tag. Yep, they're modular [Shires, not Eastman], so you ought to be able to fix this in principle - but in practice, all the instruments you encounter are a bit tubbier-sounding than the UK norm. Same deal with Edwards.

Just my take - it seems to be very much a US-style trombone concept to me - we tend to like a bit less woofy roundness in this country - something mixed up with our modern preference for 88Hs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  7. Bass Trumpet

Yes

If you want an already terrible trombone built in China, be my guest.

However, who am I to offer up an opinion against such expertise?;)

My advice to cure the Conn problem - polish it up nicely, sell it on ebay, get something else.

8. MoominDave

A serious professional trombonist who is offering up a strongly-worded opinion that contradicts what seems to be the prevailing orthodoxy. Do you think I shouldn't question that? :confused: At the very least I want to understand why there's a contradiction...

9. Bass Trumpet

Forgive me for not entering into a debate with reams of pseudo-science but I just simply can't be bothered. Maybe I'm wrong and they're the greatest trombones in the world. Going back to the OP, the question is 'are they any good'. I've tried one. They're not. Dave, you can take my word for it, or you can take somebody else's. I won't lose any sleep. If I said the world is round, you'd probably contradict me.

My advice (for what it's worth) to Aryton - don't touch them.

10. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

Thanks for the info/advice....

Although having read the "don't bother" style comments, I could easily say the same about my Conn 88H! Alright for the first few months but nothing but trouble after that...

Think I'll just resort to learning the triangle... *ting*