Shirebrook Entertainment Contest 7th October

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by postie, Oct 3, 2007.

1. postie

postie Member

Just as a matter of interest I was wondering what bands other than Strata Brass, Whitwell and Thoresby Youth are playing on Sunday. The contest is at the Kissingate Leisure Centre in Shirebrook. I am sure someone in TMP world will have a bit more detail than I have regarding times and so forth.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shirebrook
    Kissingate Leisure Centre
    Shirebrook Entertainment Contest
    Thoresby Youth
    Strata Brass
  3. dalizzie

dalizzie New Member

Starts at 12.00
    Strata
    Fossdyke
    Wigston
    Whitwell
    Thoresby Youth
    United Co-op Crewe
    The bands above are down to play but there are rumours of a couple of withdrawals.
    We will be there definitely (Whitwell).

4. postie

postie Member

Heard on the grapevine that Fossdyke have withdrawn from the contest.

5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I am going to listen to contest

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

the only band to be withdrawing is FOSSDYKE

7. postie

postie Member

As far as I know yes, but you can never tell always room for bands to withdraw even at this stage.

8. Dago

Dago Member

I sense a 'wooden spoon' is being used here!

9. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity who will be the Adjudicator in the 'box'.

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Someone who is well known;)

11. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Barry Thompson I think, although I could be totally wrong!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Shirebrook
    Kissingate Leisure Centre
    Shirebrook Entertainment Contest
    Thoresby Youth
    Strata Brass
  13. It is barry thompson

14. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Results
    1st United Co-Op Crewe
    2nd Strata
    3rd Wigston
    4th Thoresby Youth
    5th Whitwell

Best 2nd Section Band: Strata
    Best 4th Section Band: Thoresby Youth
    Best Bolsover District Band: Whitwell

Best Soloist, Flugal, United Co-Op Crewe

Thanks to Strata fow kindly allowing us to borrow their Xylophone :)

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Just got back from the contest;
    A very good day out i think a special mention as to go to CAROLE HIRST for organising the contest she did a first class job and i was well impressed with how it went
    Well done Carole:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    I only heard 3 bands
    Wigston
    Whitwell
    Strata

Of those 3
    Wigston seemed a touch loud in percussion and dynamics could have been better for a first section band.Programe was not bad but the last piece The Firebird seemed to be overblown at times towards the end which spoilt the good playing that had gone before it!!!

Whitwell;For me the star was the Solo Euph player very nice sound and im sure he will go on to be a very fine player,i was well impressed.
    Programe picked was ok but could have done with a better last piece.

Strata:
    Played very confident some real fine playing for a 2nd section band a good balanced programe picked by the conductor:clap: -the singer as a soloist was something you do not see at entertainment contest and this was very good, i was also impressed with trombone player.

A good day out and would encourage more bands to enter next year as this is a very good contest for 1st-4th section bands.
    It was also good to see OPEN!!! adjudication as well and the name of all the bands mentioned who were playing to the adjudicator by the bands conductors .
    Once again well done
    CAROLE HIRST

16. Albert Fairbrother

Albert Fairbrother New Member

I was told that Fossdyke's entry was rejected !!

Can someone from the band confirm please.

17. IJK

IJK Member

I was told by my band manager that this was an invite only contest is this true?

18. postie

postie Member

No we got our entry form from NEMBBA our priority is Leicester.

19. sheilawinter

sheilawinter Member

As far as i know any one can enter

Foss Dyke are Championship section and so were not allowed to play as the contest is only for

1ST -4TH National Section Bands

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

All in all a good day's banding I think. But I have to say I'm sure we could have done without the political wrangling that happened in the week before the contest. But then maybe I shouldn't be that surprised by it as we do as a movement have a uncanny ability to discharge both barrels into our tootsies at times.

One other gripe - to the band who saw fit to enter the hall through a squeeky door whilst somone else was playing a quiet piece (and a solo at that) - surely you could've all waited a few minutes until that particular piece was finished? At least through common courtesy if not through respect for the players and the audience and adjudicator?

As for our result, well, given our programme and a less than ideal run-up to the contest third was about where I expected to be - I would've been suprised at any higher and dissappointed (with us) at any lower. We played an alright programme, alright, that's about as enthused as I can be really. Didn't get to hear too many others except for Thoresby Youth and United Co-Op Crewe. Well done to Crewe who I thought were pretty spot on throughout their programme - nice flugel solo too!

As I say - a good day out - and I hope that this year's "issues" are resolved properly for next year otherwise I fear for the future of the contest after only 2 years. I hope to be back next year, bigger and stronger and playing against a bigger field. :)